Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > Uncensored Europe + > United Kingdom
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old October 14th, 2016 #221
andy

Default EU council president: it's hard Brexit or no Brexit at all

Pole Don Tusk laying down the law as an EU commissar. The UK should snatch his hand off and for a hard brexit and send back his 2 million or so Poles this day,let him and his delusional EU commissars sort the chaos that would bring to their failed state.

"...Tusk stressed that EU leaders would conduct the negotiations in good faith, but said the UK could not get a better deal than if it remained in the EU. May has repeatedly insisted she will not give a “running commentary” on the progress of the talks with Britain’s EU partners, but Tusk’s speech underlined the fact that other participants are unlikely to hold back..."

Chase them into the swamps

Old October 14th, 2016 #222
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Tesco and Unilever end price dispute - just Brexit profiteering

Issues surrounding the supply of leading brands including Marmite to Tesco have now been resolved, Unilever has said.

The supermarket giant and the UK's largest food manufacturer had been locked in a battle over wholesale prices.

Unilever had wanted to raise its prices by about 10% to compensate for the steep drop in the value of the pound.

But Unilever had to give some ground, the BBC understands.

Brands including Hellmann's Mayonnaise had been removed from Tesco's website.

"Unilever is pleased to confirm that the supply situation with Tesco in the UK and Ireland has now been successfully resolved," Unilever said.

"We have been working together closely to reach this resolution and ensure our much-loved brands are once again fully available. For all those that missed us, thanks for all the love."

What do we know about Brexit?

'Marmitegate' explained

A Tesco spokesman said: "We always put our customers first and we're pleased this situation has been resolved to our satisfaction."

Tesco had earlier on Thursday halted online sales of top-selling goods produced by Unilever such as Persil washing powder, Ben & Jerry's ice cream and Marmite yeast extract spread.

The BBC understands that those products should be available on the Tesco website again in the coming days.

Supermarket chain Asda said it too had successfully negotiated with Unilever.

An Asda spokesperson said: "We pride ourselves on having famously low prices for customers every day and work tirelessly with our suppliers to keep prices low".

Bruno Monteyne, a former senior Tesco executive who is now an analyst at Bernstein, said Tesco has typically one to two weeks' stock.

"While politicians can deny reality, a shampoo produced on the continent is now more expensive," he said. "This isn't about Tesco or Unilever, but about all UK retailers and suppliers."

Supermarkets frequently renegotiate supplier prices, but it is unusual for a dispute to be made public.

Sterling has dropped by about 16% against the euro and 19% against the dollar since the UK's vote in June to leave the EU.

The sharp drop has left suppliers and retailers dealing with the effects of higher bills for imported goods.

Unilever is the UK's biggest grocery manufacturer, but as many of its products are made outside the UK, it had argued it should be getting more.

Supermarket profit margins have already been squeezed by a long-running price war as the big established retailers try to stem the loss of market share to discounters such as Lidl and Aldi.

read full article at source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37650234

Old October 15th, 2016 #223
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Brexit - the good news

Merryn Somerset Webb in the Financial Times‎ tells us that the Cloud over the pound has a silver lining.

According to Merryn Somerset Webb, the devaluation of the pound in 1949 (from $4.03 to $2.80) led to a rise in the stock market.

In 1967 sterling was devalued again (from $2.80 to $2.40).

The stock market then rose 30% in 1968.

Most big UK companies are currently benefiting from the fall in the pound.

Switzerland is not in the EU, and is 'very rich'.

Before Brexit, the UK's huge current account deficit (difference between exports and imports) was about 6 per cent of GDP - near a peacetime record.

The pound was over-valued - because of the constant flow of speculative capital into London.

The UK is now, to some extent, rebalancing its economy.

read full article at source: http://aanirfan.blogspot.com/2016/10...good-news.html

Old October 16th, 2016 #224
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Merkel: No British Access to Single Market Without Free Movement

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Saturday that Britain could not get concessions on the freedom of movement while retaining full access to the European single market, or other countries would want the same.

Britain, which is leaving the European Union, faces the challenge of securing a new trading deal with the EU while also giving London more control over migration from the bloc, potentially falling foul of the EU's freedom of movement principle that is key for accessing its single market.

"If I start making concessions on the freedom of movement, then another country will tomorrow come and say: 'I don't want so many Bulgarians and Romanian workers either'," Merkel told a conference of the youth wing of her Christian Democrats (CDU).

"And then a third country will come and then the extreme forces from Europe will come and then we'll soon all be closing our borders again and not having any freedom at all and then that's no longer Europe," she added.

She said whether Britain would get access to the European single market depended on whether it accepted the EU's four freedoms, including the freedom of movement of people.

"If Britain says no, it can't get full access to the European single market," she said.

Merkel said that while she was very fond of Britain and regretted its decision to quit the EU—which she considered a major break in the bloc's history—she could not start calling the EU itself into question.

"I would always think in favor of Great Britain but always with the thought that we 27 member states want to keep our Europe," she said.

read full article at source: http://www.newsweek.com/no-british-a...ovement-510317

Old October 16th, 2016 #225
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post The Real Brexit Leave Vote Was Probably About 70% --- America please Take Note.

“Brexit vote will mean the end of the EU”

The Telegraph reports that Xavier Rolet, head of the London Stock Exchange (currently in merger talks with Deutsche Bőrse) says that Brexit could mean the “implosion” of the EU. While you may think that this is unequivocal good news, Rolet goes on to make a case for Remain, arguing that an economic melt-down might even require the US to come with a new Marshall Plan to “put Humpty Dumpty together again”.

I take a different view, and I think Humpty Dumpty might work a whole lot better as a creature of parts. I see Brexit as a step towards a simple European Free Trade Area, with no political superstructure. Independent, democratic nations linked only by free trade and voluntary intergovernmental cooperation. As I’ve said before, Brexit is not the end, but a new beginning.

Scaremongering bites back

The FT reports mounting fears in the currency markets as the EU Referendum approaches. Of course a certain amount of volatility and irrational paranoia were to be expected in the run-up to any major change in the EU’s architecture. But I believe that the market concerns have been seriously exacerbated by scaremongering from the Remain camp. David Cameron and his Remain colleagues bear a heavy load of responsibility here. They have deliberately sought to drive panic about the possible consequences of Brexit, and to talk up exaggerated risks in the most lurid terms. They must not be surprised if in talking down Britain’s prospects they also spook the financial markets. But they bear a very heavy burden of responsibility, and if their prophecies prove partly self-fulfilling, they will not be forgiven.

It’s also worth remembering that when we left the ERM in 1992, and the value of Sterling fell, that started a long-term sustained economic recovery. Brexit could do likewise.

And contrariwise: You’d expect foreign holidays to get more expensive as the Pound comes under pressure. But the Express headlines “Holiday Bargains as costs tumble”. While Sterling may be under pressure from Referendum volatility, the real economies of Southern Europe continue to suffer from economic malaise and the €uro, and holidays are consequently cheap. One could observe that the €uro has real and underlying problems, whereas the Sterling issue is merely a little froth in financial markets.

“Border chaos threatens deal to deport migrants”

The Times reports that the EU/Turkey deal is threatened with chaos, as the Greeks say they have “no idea” how many migrants will be deported, and far too few EU officials have arrived to implement the plan. Some reports say that 750 migrants will be deported today; others that today’s figure will be “nothing like 500”. The initial group are said to be mainly from the Indian sub-continent. Of course the whole deal is a one-for-one swap, so it makes no net difference to the numbers on either side. Meantime there is unrest in the holding camps on the Greek Islands, with some migra

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://tapnewswire.com/2016/04/brita...will-tell-you/

Old October 16th, 2016 #226
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFeed View Post
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Saturday that Britain could not get concessions on the freedom of movement while retaining full access to the European single market, or other countries would want the same.

Britain, which is leaving the European Union, faces the challenge of securing a new trading deal with the EU while also giving London more control over migration from the bloc, potentially falling foul of the EU's freedom of movement principle that is key for accessing its single market.

"If I start making concessions on the freedom of movement, then another country will tomorrow come and say: 'I don't want so many Bulgarians and Romanian workers either'," Merkel told a conference of the youth wing of her Christian Democrats (CDU).

"And then a third country will come and then the extreme forces from Europe will come and then we'll soon all be closing our borders again and not having any freedom at all and then that's no longer Europe," she added.

She said whether Britain would get access to the European single market depended on whether it accepted the EU's four freedoms, including the freedom of movement of people.

"If Britain says no, it can't get full access to the European single market," she said.

Merkel said that while she was very fond of Britain and regretted its decision to quit the EU—which she considered a major break in the bloc's history—she could not start calling the EU itself into question.

"I would always think in favor of Great Britain but always with the thought that we 27 member states want to keep our Europe," she said.

read full article at source: http://www.newsweek.com/no-british-a...ovement-510317
https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Germany exports 30 billion euro to the UK and imports less than 1 billion euros. Brexiteers only want closed borders and the foreigners returned from whence they came

Old October 17th, 2016 #227
andy

Steven Woolfe: I'm resigning as a UKIP MEP

A UKIP MEP who spent three nights in hospital after a row with a party colleague is quitting the party, saying it is in a "death spiral".
Steven Woolfe, who had been running to be the next leader, told the BBC there was "something rotten" in the party.
He also accused fellow MEP Mike Hookem of inflicting a "blow" to his face in the row at a party meeting.
Mr Hookem has acknowledged a "scuffle" but said he "categorically did not" throw a punch at his colleague.
Mr Woolfe was rushed to hospital after collapsing following the incident, which UKIP described as an "altercation", and came during a meeting to discuss reports the North West England MEP had had discussions about joining the Conservatives.

In the BBC interview, Mr Woolfe said he had told Mr Hookem "let's go outside and discuss this man-to-man" after they clashed during UKIP's meeting in the European Parliament, saying he had been suggesting they discuss their differences verbally.
Asked what happened next, Mr Woolfe said: "He rushed at me. A blow to my face forced me back through the door."
He added: "I couldn't see whether it was a fist, whether it was an open hand... the point was it was a blow that impacted me."
Mr Woolfe said he was pushed back into the room and hit the back of his head against a wall and denied aggression towards Mr Hookem, saying: "It was too quick."
He said that while he was voting in the European Parliament later, he started getting a severe headache and sought medical help.
He said the doctors were "incredibly concerned" about him and that he was unconscious "for quite some time".

Had it not been for the medics, he said "things would have been a lot more severe for me".
According to Mr Hookem, Mr Woolfe suggested they "take it outside of the room".
Speaking to the BBC after the incident, Mr Hookem said: "When I walked in he approached me to attack me. He came at me, I defended myself. There were no punches thrown, there was no face slapping, there were no digs, there was nothing."
Mr Woolfe was seen as a frontrunner to become UKIP leader after the surprise resignation of Diane James.
However, he said he was withdrawing as a candidate and resigning from the party immediately, "with a huge amount of sadness".
He said divisions within the party had created "huge negative camps", adding: "There is a spiral that is going on that's bringing it down."
There had been some "horrific" things said about him after the row, Mr Woolfe said, adding: "I think they've got a spiral, someone suggested that it's a death spiral, of their own making."
Only a "small handful" of UKIP politicians and officials had contacted him to ask how he was since the incident, he added.
In a statement on his website, Mr Woolfe said that, contrary to reports, he had made a police complaint about the incident involving Mr Hookem.
Nominations to replace Ms James close on 31 October.
Another contender, Raheem Kassam, said those responsible for "negatively campaigning" against Mr Woolfe should "hang their heads in shame" and urged him to return to UKIP.

Old October 17th, 2016 #228
White Dragon

So the rumors that Woolfe has been having secret talks with the Tories seem
to be true. How long he will remain an "Independent" before crossing over, time will tell.

Old October 19th, 2016 #229
andy

Nige weighs in for Trump at infowars

http://www.infowars.com/nigel-farage...-final-debate/

Old October 20th, 2016 #230
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Brexit could be halted after Government admits that MPs likely to have final say

Parliament has the right to reject the final Brexit deal, No.10 has indicated for the first time – raising the possibility that Britain’s EU exit could yet be halted.

Downing Street agreed it is “very likely” that MPs and peers will be given a vote once the withdrawal negotiations are finished, after the issue arose in the High Court.

The statement – after the Prime Minister repeatedly refused to give ground on demands for Parliament to have a say on Brexit – immediately triggered furious debate about the possible consequences.

One senior pro-EU Conservative MP called it a “victory for all those who believe in the right of Parliament to represents the interests of our constituents”.

And the prospect of Parliament exerting some control over the final settlement caused the pound to surge immediately against the dollar in exchange markets.

The development came on the third day of the legal challenge against the Government’s separate refusal to give Parliament a vote before Article 50 is invoked.

James Eadie QC told the High Court that Parliament would have to ratify any package hammered out with Brussels – prompting Theresa May’s spokeswoman to say it was an “accurate reflection” of the Government’s interpretation of the law.

It raised the prospect, at the very least, that MPs and peers could amend the Brexit deal if they opposed key elements of the impact on trade, immigration or other areas.

However, it could also mean Britain tumbling out of the EU – probably in early 2019 – with no deal whatsoever.

Mr Carmichael, a supporter of the Open Britain campaign, which wants close economic ties with Europe, said a vote in two years’ time was no substitute for a say on the terms for starting the exit.

He said: “It’s an encouraging sign that the Government has agreed to give Parliament a say on the final terms of Brexit. But there must be a role of Parliament before the end of the negotiations.

“The best place to start would be for the Government to commit to a debate and a vote in the House of Commons on the Government’s principles for the upcoming negotiations before they trigger Article 50.”

For the Liberal Democrats, Foreign Affairs Spokesman Tom Brake said the final decision whether to approve a Brexit deal should be made by the public – in a second referendum.

He said: “It’s telling that it’s taken a court case to get the Government to finally admit it will give Parliament say on the Brexit deal.

“The Liberal Democrats will fight to ensure the British people are also given a say over the final deal to ensure it is right for them.”

The Government has insisted it would not be possible to slam the brakes on EU withdrawal after the two-year Article 50 notice is triggered, early next year.

But some leading lawyers have argued there is nothing in Article 50 to prevent the UK withdrawing its declaration that it intends to leave the EU, if it chose to do so.

And that possibility was raised recently that Donald Tusk, the President of the Euro

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7368561.html

Old October 21st, 2016 #231
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post PM faces more tough Brexit talks as EU leaders say doors MUST stay open to migrants if we want the single market and our former man in Brussels warns they are driven by "emotion"

By James Tapsfield, Political Editor For Mailonline

Published: 04:43 EST, 21 October 2016 | Updated: 04:49 EST, 21 October 2016

Theresa May faces another tough day at her first EU summit as the UK's former top Eurocrat warned that other leaders were driven by 'emotion'.

The Prime Minister was forced to wait until past 1am at a dinner with counterparts in Brussels before she got a brief chance to outline her hopes for future relations.

And the intervention, in which she insisted the UK should not be left out of key decisions before it formally leaves, was apparently received in stony silence.

Britain's former commissioner Lord Hill today took a swipe at hardliners advocating 'stupid' Brexit as he cautioned against ignoring the 'emotional' impact of the historic referendum vote.

The peer said other EU states might be driven to punish the UK even if it meant 'mutual self harm'.

Mrs May will hold talks with EU commission president Jean-Claude Juncker later, after enduring a difficult first day of the gathering, with leaders queuing up to signal a tough line on the looming negotiations.

Many in Brussels are unhappy that Mrs May has said restoring control of Britain's borders will be her priority in the Brexit talks.

Currently, EU migration adds 180,000 people to the UK's population every year.
read full article at source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti..._campaign=1490

Old October 21st, 2016 #232
andy

It cannot be shown enough Farage the day after brexit

Old October 23rd, 2016 #233
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post British banks preparing to leave UK over Brexit: Observer

LONDON Britain's biggest banks are preparing to move out of the country in early 2017 because of fears over the impending Brexit negotiations, while smaller banks are making plans to leave before Christmas, the chief executive of the British Bankers' Association Anthony Browne said.

"The public and political debate at the moment is taking us in the wrong direction," the Observer Sunday newspaper quoted Browne as saying in an interview.

The paper released a short extract on Saturday evening but no further comments by Browne from the interview were immediately available.

Banks in Britain depend on a European "passport" to serve clients across the 28-country European Union from one base and lenders worry that this right will end after Britain leaves the EU.

Banks have already said they are making contingency plans to move some of their operations to continental Europe if Britain does not negotiate access to the EU single market after Brexit.

Prime Minister Theresa May has said she will trigger formal talks to leave the EU by the end of March 2017 after Britain voted to leave in a referendum last June.

She has said she will fight to retain access to the single market but several EU leaders have insisted that will depend on Britain accepting free movement of workers from the EU - a condition Britain has vowed to curtail.

SAN FRANCISCO San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank President John Williams on Friday redoubled his call for raising rates soon, telling reporters after a speech here that "this year would be good" for a rate rise that he had wanted to take effect last month.

Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

read full article at source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...KCN12M0U7?il=0

Old October 23rd, 2016 #234
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
"A sensible and grown up attitude" ... from the EU and Mr. Juncker you will not get. We got to hold Mrs May feet to the fire and make sure she invokes Article 50 in March as she has promised, otherwise it's pitch forks at dawn.

Old October 24th, 2016 #235
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post EU'll lose out! 'Hard' Brexit would cost other member states 8BILLION a year more than the UK

By James Tapsfield, Political Editor For Mailonline

Published: 04:44 EST, 24 October 2016 | Updated: 05:52 EST, 24 October 2016

A 'hard' Brexit would leave EU states facing nearly £8billion a year more in tariffs than the UK, according to a report.

Firms from the bloc would add almost £13 billion a year in costs to their exports if Britain leaves the customs union without an alternative free trade deal.

By contrast UK companies would be hit with a much lower £5.2 billion bill for sales to the other 27 states.

read full article at source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...N-year-UK.html

Old October 24th, 2016 #236
andy

This has always been the real issue with the economics of brexit the bottom line is that the UK is a net contributor and a deficit trader. They need the UK more than vice versa if only to dump their native and imported primitives in. As Farage predicted the UK are the first to leave they will not be the last the EU wants a United States of Europe to guarantee the technocrats and their cronies perpetual power and riches and that really is it.
Corruption and theft plain as a pikestaff

Old October 25th, 2016 #237
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post EU's Brexit negotiator demands all talks are conducted in French

The European Union's lead Brexit negotiator wants British and EU officials to work in French rather than English during the divorce talks, an EU official familiar with Brussels' Brexit task force said on Friday.

Michel Barnier, the former French foreign minister running the complex separation with London, is keen that his native tongue be used in meetings and documents, the source told Reuters during a EU summit at which Theresa May was making her first appearance as prime minister at the European Council.

"Barnier wants French to be the working language in Brexit negotiations with Britain," the source said.

An EU spokeswoman stressed this was not an official line: "There is no language regime for the negotiations," she said.

A spokeswoman for May declined comment. "We will not comment until we receive a formal request," she said.

'London calling' graffiti near the 'Jungle' refugee camp. Many thousands of migrants and refugees are waiting in some cases for years in the port city in the hope of being able to cross the English Channel to Britain. French authorities announced that they will shortly evict the camp where currently up to up to 10,000 people live

Many thousands of migrants and refugees are waiting in some cases for years in the port city in the hope of being able to cross the English Channel to Britain. French authorities announced that they will shortly evict the camp where currently up to up to 10,000 people live

Gina Miller, left, walks past the High Court prior to the start of her landmark lawsuit, in London. Financial entrepreneur Gina Miller's landmark lawsuit begins with a simple question: can Prime Minister Theresa May's government invoke Article 50 and trigger the exit from the European Union without an act of Parliament?

The U.K. should maintain European Union regulations covering everything from working hours to chemicals until after the government sets out its plans for Brexit, said British manufacturers anxious to avoid a policy vacuum and safeguard access to their biggest export market

The latest reports released by the UK Cabinet Office warn that expats would lose a range of specific rights to live, to work and to access pensions, healthcare and public services. The same reports added that UK citizens abroad would not be able to assume that these rights will be guaranteed in the future

Using French marks a shift away from standard practice among multinational teams in Brussels, where French lost its status to English as the EU's main working language after northern and eastern states joined in the past two decades. Even officials from the EU's founding powers France and Germany now communicate with each other mainly in English.

It also sends a signal to May and her ministers that the EU plans to put its own interests first in negotiating divorce talks that the prime minister has promised to launch by March.

Barnier's boss, former Luxembourg premier and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, who wa

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...=facebook-post

Old October 25th, 2016 #238
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Sturgeon frustrated at May's Brexit stance

The Scottish First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, says she feels " deep frustration" over the Government's handling of Brexit negotiations. .

Theresa May faced anger from Nicola Sturgeon and ridicule from some Tory MPs as she refused repeatedly to give more details of what Brexit would look like.

Scotland’s First Minister came out of Downing Street talks to declare that the Prime Minister’s stance had been “deeply frustrating”.

After two hours of talks, an exasperated Sturgeon told reporters: “I don’t know any more now about the UK Government’s approach to the EU negotiations than I did before I went in to the meeting.”

Andrew Tyrie, the Tory chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, later warned May that her policy of “saying as little as possible” would damage the UK’s economy as firms quit for more stability overseas.

And as No.10 revealed that there would be a Commons debate on Brexit “before Christmas”, former Attorney General Dominic Grieve said that it was time to give MPs not just a discussion but a vote on the Government’s strategy.

In a Commons statement on her first ever EU summit, May said there was “no suggestion” that she was in favour of a “hard Brexit”, which critics say would involve curbing free trade in return for curbs in migration.

But the PM refused time and again to give more details, claiming that to do so would undermine the UK’s negotiating position with Brussels as it hammered out a final deal.

Sturgeon, who was in Downing Street along with the leaders of the Welsh and Northern Ireland Governments for the ‘Joint Ministerial Council’, couldn’t disguise her irritation with May after the fractious meeting.

“We had a frank exchange of views. I don’t mind admitting large parts of the meeting were deeply frustrating.”

Tyrie was scathing in the Commons later, when he said that “the Government’s policy of saying as little as possible is going to be increasingly unsustainable”.

“The vacuum is already being filled by leaks not from the Commission but from her own Cabinet Brexit committee colleagues,” he said.

Tyrie added that “unless the Government can provide at least some clarity about its direction of travel soon, many financial and other businesses which have been in touch with me about this will respond to the uncertainty, plan for the worst and that that will be at considerable cost to the UK”.

May said she

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartandhp

Old October 27th, 2016 #239
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post The U.K. economy grew 2.3% in the third quarter, confounding forecasts that it would slump after the Brexit vote

Whoa. That's what you call resilience.

The U.K. economy grew 2.3% in the third quarter, confounding forecasts that it would slump after the Brexit vote.

Quarter on quarter, GDP grew 0.5%. That's weaker than the second quarter, but nowhere near as bad as expected. The Bank of England was expecting growth of between 0.2% and 0.3% in the July to September period.

"It could be that the economy is in a post-referendum 'sweet spot' whereby some of the positive developments since the vote, such as action by the [Bank of England] have been felt before the major adverse consequences, such as a rise in inflation," said Ruth Gregory, U.K. economist at Capital Economics.

The central bank cut interest rates and revived its stimulus program in August in a move to prevent the economy sliding into recession after the U.K. voted to leave the EU, its biggest trading partner.

The Office for National Statistics said strong growth in services offset falls in other industries. While services grew 0.8% quarter on quarter, construction plunged 1.4%, and manufacturing declined 1%.

Analysts said the robust growth figures were likely supported by consumer spending, helped by a sharp fall in the value of the pound which was encouraging overseas visitors to spend more freely.

But they cautioned that it was too soon to sound the all clear for the world's fifth biggest economy.

"We expect the economy to suffer in 2017 as the uncertainties facing businesses and consumers are magnified by the triggering of Article 50," said IHS Markit chief economist Howard Archer, referring to the official start of Brexit negotiations.

Related: How U.K. trade stacks up

The government has started to unveil its Brexit plans in the last few weeks. Talks with the EU will begin before March 2017 and the actual exit will happen two years later.

But there are still no details about how the government plans to approach the negotiation and what kind of trade deal will it seek.

European leaders have made clear that if Britain does not allow free movement of EU citizens across its borders, it will lose some of its rights to access the free trade area.

U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May indicated she will give priority to controlling immigration over market access, the so called "hard Brexit" option. That would mean British businesses could lose the ability to do business freely across the region.

CNNMoney (London) First published October 27, 2016: 6:19 AM ET

Most stock quote data provided by BATS. Market indices are shown in real time, except for the DJIA, which is delayed by two minutes. All times are ET. Disclaimer. Morningstar: © 2016 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Factset: FactSet Research Systems Inc. 2016. All rights reserved. Chicago Mercantile Association: Certain market data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. All rights reserved. Dow Jones: The Dow Jones branded indices are proprietary to and are calculated, dis

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/27/news...xit/index.html

Old October 27th, 2016 #240
Henry.

They must be using the increasing number of kebab shops as a measure of growth because there is no meaningful industry left. So 2.3% is way too low in my estimation.

It must be a 'conservative' estimate....

Thread