Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 9th, 2009 #1
CharlesEagan

Default New Hubble Space Telescope sending back first pics.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-10348388-239.html

Quote:
NASA scientists showed off spectacular new pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope Wednesday, a stunning gallery of remote galaxies, a stellar nursery, an enormous globular cluster packed with countless pinpoint stars, and a dying sun blowing off its outer atmosphere in butterfly-like wings of debris.

Planetary nebula NGC 6302, a star in the final stages of its life, in a dramatic new photo from the repaired Hubble Space Telescope.

(Credit: NASA)The pictures clearly show the fabled telescope is back in action, ready to resume its role as one of the most productive observatories on or off the planet, thanks to a dramatic five-spacewalk shuttle repair mission last May.

"Every field of astrophysics, whether it's our local neighborhood of planets, nearby stars and their attendant planets, galaxies, clusters of galaxies, out to the edge of the universe, every field has questions that are awaiting the power of Hubble," said Heidi Hammel, senior research scientist at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo. "You're only getting the tiniest taste of what the astronomers are planning to do with Hubble over as many years as it can last.
I alway wondered though, how do they get such clear images from a lens moving 17,000 mph? How could they focus it on a tiny little area for so long and gather the light for these pics, the way a ground based telescope does? They must take thousands of pics of same area and make a composit, but still, seems like it would be impossible to do. I wonder if these pics like this are touched up and altered by artists, based on data, or if that's the actual view of the telescope.

I'm new here, I guess it's a general interest forum? Or only racist subjects?

Thread