View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2008 #33
seeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
The law school that I went to allowed 6 years for part time students to graduate. I think that's pretty much the standard now. Everywhere I went says ABA rules says a max of 4 years. Ole Miss does not have part time

There's a lot of legal work that can be done very competently by non-lawyers, and is in fact. In our office, paralegals usually do stuff like wills As long as it in your office?

It ain't cheap, but 300K? Tuition at the Ole Miss Law School this fall is only 10k per year. Ole Miss is public, so the taxpayer pays, I also included years of lost wages.

licensing requirement, study requirement, tuition requirement, character requirement &c. has the effect of keeping competition out.

But I'm perfectly comfortable with having some minimum standards that people have to meet before practicing law. As much so as with practicing medicine. Requirements to practice law to ripoff the public are MAXimum requirements. 8 years including bar review?
1. If the paralegals can do it, why can't people go straight to paralegals like in Louisiana? (Civil Law Notaries)

2. Ole Miss is a public school, so the taxpayer is paying. My figures including lost wages are accurate.

3. Almost all countries only require a bachelor degree to be a lawyer. You did not explain why someone with a bachelor degree in paralegal studies, 10 years experience, pass the National Certified paralegal exam, the state exam, background check will be put in jail for writing a will for a person, without giving a cut to a lawyer that did nothing.

Medical Doctors? Nurse Practitioners prescribe medicine without MD supervision and in most states have their own practices, so do not compare the legal monopoly to medicine where there is consumer choice. Besides, an MD actually does good for the world.

4. Old Miss does not have part time, I went to the site.
In addition, every site I went to says ABA rules says P/T must be done in 4 years.
Quote:
at every ABA-accredited law school, a part-time program must be completed in four years.
As you can see, you are wrong. The legal industry is eating this country out of house and home. Besides, the judge knows the law, why can't defendants ask the judge what the law is like in other countries?

Louisiana Civil Law Notary Association: http://www.pclna.org/

From Old Miss Law School
Quote:
Can I attend part-time?
No, we do not offer a part-time program. Our program is a full-time, day-time program only. http://www.law.olemiss.edu/admissions/faq.html

Last edited by seeer; September 2nd, 2008 at 09:04 PM.