View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2021 #268
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Woman arrested on first-degree murder after hit-and-run, shooting in NE Wichita

By KWCH Staff
Published: Mar. 26, 2021 at 10:49 PM GMT+1

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: The Wichita Police Department has arrested 31-year-old Charity Blackmon of Wichita on charges of first-degree murder. This is in connection to the death of 54-year-old Merrill Rabus.

At around 4:25 p.m. Friday, officers were dispatched to 13th Street North and Oliver Avenue for a shooting call. Upon arriving, they located Rabus unconscious and receiving life-saving measures after being shot. He was transported to a hospital where he later died from his injuries.

Police say Rabus was on his bicycle at the intersection when he was struck by a white Plymouth van driven by Blackmon. Blackmon then got out her vehicle and shot Rabus. Blackmon fled the scene and was followed by witnesses who provided her location. She was located and arrested at 14th Street North and Green Street by a Wichita University police officer. Blackmon and Rabus did not know each other.

Officers also recovered a handgun through this investigation.
https://www.kwch.com/2021/03/26/1-in...hita-shooting/

Quote:
Family and friends of hit-and-run, shooting victim speak out

Faith and forgiveness is the message family and friends said Merrill Rabus would want to be conveyed.

By KWCH Staff
Published: Mar. 28, 2021 at 4:51 AM GMT+2

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: Sunday afternoon, the family of Merrill Rabus gathered at 13th and Oliver where the 54-year-old died Friday for a vigil.

“I saw Merrill at his worst and then I saw him be at his best for a long time and he did it with a pure heart. He didn’t have an enemy. He loved people. He loved life and God gave him that,” said Rabus’s sister-in-law Mary Alice Burke.

For family, like sister-in-law Mary Alice Burke, they’re holding onto faith saying this isn’t a goodbye.

Burke said, I know where he is and I know I’m going to see him again.”

It’s that faith Burke said was the building blocks of Rabus’s life. Service to others was on constant display, especially for people experiencing homelessness and addiction after Rabus overcame similar challenges.
https://www.kwch.com/2021/03/28/frie...tim-speak-out/

The victim: