Full Thread: 'second-hand smoke'
View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2008 #33
Randolf Facto

Default Rather than splitting hairs....

Quote:
1. you have no use for smokers because they have no respect for themselves and therefore no respect for anything else.
That's right... in speaking about my personal relationships and those with whom I would or would not spend considerable time under social circumstances.

Quote:
2. you respect the opinions of bill cosby because he is honest
Yes, and funny in a for-the-most-part wholesome way, but I digress. Certainly more than I respect the opinions of a Michael Moore and his ilk, which was the original comparison pole I chose in my earlier post because I believe these two individuals served the point well.

Quote:
you give him a pass on smoking because he is honest
I don't associate with him personally, so no, I don't 'give him a pass on smoking'... but what's more pertinent to the discussion is the example I gave (and now I'm repeating this point for the second time... most tedious of you) was about blind racial loyalty, already past the point about cigarette smoking... and if you want to stay on the smoking angle, at least a guy that has an occasional cigar is not doing the same type of damage to himself and others as the 24/7 cigarette smokers, so while I still wouldn't hang around a cigar smoker for any period of time, it's apples-to-oranges when compared to cigarette smoking... but like I already said, the Cosby-Moore comparison was not about smoking, it was about the blind racial loyalty question originally asked.

Quote:
If a white nationalist was noted for his no nonsense approach to problems facing the white race, but smoked would he be as respectable as cosby? or as useless as other smokers?
Someone can speak the truth and be admirable... if he/she has personal habits that I don't condone, that merely means I wouldn't care to associate with them overlong in a social setting, but I could still admire what they say on other topics.

This isn't a binary either/or world... sheesh, you guys have to learn to think in multiple dimensions.

Quote:
So your objection has more to do with where people smoke rather than smoking itself or it's health risks?
Not more, no... my objection is first and foremost about the health issues to the smoker and to those around him/her... much like I would hate to see or be around a person that walked through town sticking needles into him/herself, even if they weren't sticking needles into anyone else... but the fact that smokers DO stick needles into others only adds to the disdain.

Those smokers who AT LEAST have the courtesy to smoke in places where they will not bother non-smokers do have a slight edge in the behavioral sweepstakes... but they're still doing something for which the downside is SO steep that it still merits disdain and one has to suspect their mentality, like an earlier poster so wisely observed.

Quote:
If cigarettes were outlawed and people switched to cigars and pipes what would your opinion be?
My opinion would be that immaterial and irrelevant 'what if' questions that serve only as an attempt to 'trip up' the responder (rather than address the true point of the issue, namely, admitting that first- and second-hand smoke are IRREFUTABLY harmful) are inane, indeed, and reflect a Philistine-like mentality with which I likewise have little truck.