Full Thread: Beer review
View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2016 #302
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Four String Payback Pilsner

Jim said that "The West is the best", and for a lot of years, that was true if you were talking about craft beer. Oregon, California, Colorado, that's where the big boys were.

Now everyone is freaking out about just how local one can source their Oak-Infused Session White IPA Lager. On tap. Gravity tap if possible.

Which made me pick up this Pilsner (6/cans) from Four String Brewery called "Payback" when I saw that it is brewed in Ohio, my adopted home state.

Fun fact: I'm actually a Southerner by birth. I'm a Molly Hatchet fan, man. Not like a huge fan, but still. I don't turn them off when they come on Sirus channel 26. I mean, I don't turn it up either, but I don't dip to channel 25 like I do every fucking time anything from ZZ Top starts to play. That shit drops faster than trunks at a Kennedy pool party. Hate ZZ Top.

But I digress.

From the website: Our pilsner is an all-day drinker perfect for a rock festival weekend. This lager beer is brilliant with a gorgeous golden hue. We age it for nearly a month using a centuries old process to build a crisp, clean flavor that is perfectly balanced. The nose is bright with loads of herbal, cedar and floral hop aroma contributed by the finest hops the Bavarian Hallertauer region can yield.

IBU 45 ABV 5.1%

OK. Let's get set up. The glass is a hand-washed, air-cooled Sam Adams Perfect Pint which we will rinse w/very cold water directly pre-pour.

Beer fridge is set at 42 degrees. Should be a little higher for Ales. Colder is ok for Pilsners. But don't be tempted to set it lower than 42 or so, because you'll start to lose some of the notes until the beer warms a little. If you're drinking anything much below, say 38 degrees, you're not going to taste anything, just a really cold liquid. Ask Capt. Smith.

OK. The can is silver. One side has a large Ram's head sitting atop the necks of two guitars (one is a bass) Jolly Roger-style. So a musical vibe. And some Occult shit. I'm in. The other side has an Ace of Spades playing card with a large coiled snake on it. I think it's a Cobra. I sold my Cobra last Summer. "Payback Pilsner" is emblazoned across the card. Another tip: Never chase a flush unless you have the Ace. Never. You'll get beaten more times than The French Army if you do.

Ok, an aggressive pour rewards with a substantial Crest-white foamy head. Deflates quickly, with minimal lacing. Color is damn-near clear. Looks like water you left a single Oak chip in for an hour. Hate to use this comparison, but it looks like a BMC "light" beer.

Initial note is herbal, and strong, man, Smells like the wind in a forest. Very inviting. I don't get any cedar, maybe as it warms.

First sip, this is a malt-forward Pils. Slight aspirin aftertaste, which is there and gone. Wow, they must hop this beer big-time because it's astringent. Doesn't detract and it isn't overpowering, but it's there. As the beer warms the herb really kicks in. Not getting any citrus. Or cedar.

So lots of malts and hops. Which is wierd because the color isn't substantial. Very dry finish.

All in all, a pretty standard Czech-style Pils. Brewed in Ohio. 1 to 10? 5. Like Tina Fey. There are worse. There are better.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; July 6th, 2016 at 04:39 AM.