View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2007 #51
H.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
When the abdomen is distended from lack of exercise and or obesity this causes many other physiological problems. Primarily from the various internal organs becoming misshapen. The liver, kidneys, spleen, stomach, and the rest of the internal organs give their optimum performance when they are in their proper and natural shape. The sagging and expansion of the abdomen will exert pressure that will cause these organs to either expand or impinge their natural shape and invariably impede many of the their normal bodily functions. The distended abdomen will also cause the diaphragm to push up into the plural cavity and reduce lung capacity. There can also be shifts in body alignment that will put stress on the skeletal and other soft connecting tissues of the body that hinder balance and further reduce overall bodily functions.

The abdominal muscles are unique among muscle groups as they can be vigorously exercised on a daily basis with no need for a recuperative day in between workouts.
Thanks for this information, Brutus.

There is a huge fallacy about training the abs. People say if you want to have a smaller waist, doing ab work isn't going to help you because it doesn't "burn fat on the waist." Well, of course it does not, but if you keep your abs in shape, your waistline will actually shrink - I have seen this from personal experience.

About six months ago, I was getting hernia-like symptoms. It turns out nothing was torn, just stretched - while I had trained hard for many years in many areas, I neglected abs. I started doing leg raises and sit-ups regularly and those symptoms never came back.

Also, I have had acid reflux for at least eight years. As of the past six months, that seems to have been reduced greatly by doing ab work.