View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2010 #75
Rob MacGregor
Harvester of yidflies

Cold Steel makes that DaDao. I've handled them but they were too heavy, unbalanced and had too much handle vs blade for my taste. Would make a superb brush cutter/tool though, which I see as it's primary modern purpose..

Out of my large medieval collection (which includes mail and helmets, shields and many weapons types) if called to use them in some fantasy scenario my favorite swords are (two handed) my Scottish War Sword, (I'm kneeling with it in my avatar) which is a shorter, lighter, faster Claymore but with a nice point and is not too heavy to be used one handed for a short time, and (for one hand use) my Damascus Viking sword.. 2 lbs and lightning fast, can be wielded for a long time.. I like it much better than any of my Katanas

In reality (back to Earth) my choice for combat would be one of my Ontario Blackie Collins machetes (they can take amazing abuse) and or my Junglee short sword, which is 1 lb and razor sharp AUS8 stainless. The Junglee is a better overall weapon and the machete is a better tool. The machete is a LOT cheaper and can take a razor edge as well as being able to drop small trees, I've cut through a 10 inch red alder in 10 minutes with one!

Ontario machete. I keep an oiled Stihl flat chainsaw file (fits my 066 magnum chainsaw too) in the sheath for sharpening:

Junglee Short Sword.. comes with a sturdy Kydex sheath. Mine is hanging with my recon pack

[Formerly Son of the Mist at scamfront.. hail to my friends here, I've missed ya]