View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2007 #141
Ron Doggett

The Smithfield Times
Serving Isle of Wight and Surry Counties.

Wednesday March 14, 2007

White Supremacy paper circulated in Smithfield
by Allison T. Williams

Janet Wiley has a message for the discriminating deliveryman who tossed a white-supremacist tabloid in her front yard early Sunday.
"I want them to know that I don't want that smut near my house." said the Plantation Road resident. She is one of several hundred county residents who woke up to fine The White Patriot Leader, a newspaper which promotes hatred toward blacks, Jews and Mexicans, in their yards.
"I was appalled when I saw this...and don't want my 10-year old son reading it," she said." It kind of scares me that you can find that Aryan mess in our county."
Someone--no one seems to know exactly who--distributed the Missouri-based publication around four Smithfield communities sometime overnight Saturday, said Capt. Alonzo Smith, spokesman for the Smithfield Police Department. Targeted areas included Wrenn's Mill Estates, Pagan Point, Red Point Heights and the Moonefield communities.
The police department received several calls from concerned citizens on Monday, he said. the Sheriff's Department has not received any calls related to the incidents.
However offensive the literature may be, Howell said it didn't appear that the distributor has violated any laws by distributing the publication.
"We probably couldn't do anything if we did know who it was," Howell said. The content of the paper is protected under the distributor's First Amendment rights.
Although The White Patriot Leader has been distributed in upper middle class neighborhoods in several Virginia cities over the past couple of years, including Newport News and Waynesboro, Howell doesn't ever recall it having been circulated in Isle of Wight before.
A retired downtown businessman, who lives in the Moonefield area, said he tossed the publication in the trash once he started reading it.

This article was on the front page. The Smithfield Times is a weekly paper.