View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2013 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Lindy West* on a plane. Like snakes on a plane. But larger and scarier.

Always looking to offend, always looking to be offended - the feminist way, itz.

http://jezebel.com/heres-what-it-fee...ane-1488750726

Him: "I said that if you want someone to move, it helps to say 'excuse me' and then get out of the way. You told me to move and then you just [gestures at my body in the aisle]."

Me [head melting]: "I'm putting my bag in the overhead bin. You know, because that's how planes work?"

[In other words, she was being a cunt and ordering him about peremptorily and he objected.]

I sat down. They closed the doors. I said, "Looks like there's no one in the middle seat, so you won't actually have to sit next to me. Since I apparently bother you so much."

Him: "Sounds great to me."

[In other words, like most women, she takes objective criticism as a personal attack. And in her case, she also finds exactly what she's looking for because she can't see anything else. At most the guy would have been worried about losing space to her girth, but but that wouldn't be about her. She can't see that, though.]

Nobody wants to sit next to a fat person on a plane. Don't think we don't know.

[The pain of a fat girl is real. And big. Real big. Like her butt.]

This year, for the first time ever, I got on a plane and discovered that I didn't fit in the seat.

[Keep in mind, she's writing this about herself. Yes, folks...I am now...officially...a two-seater.]

HagetakaULindy West3431L U
So.....you violated someone's space, he muttered something sotto voce, then you went and wrote an angry screed about it?

Must be nice to have that soapbox.

[wow...she's their most popular writer, and gets absolutely burned on that comment. 343 is about as high as it gets, and tho she tries to recoup by adding her own comment femsplaining how she wasn't at fault, the damage is done. people will think just as i did above. there's a simple solution, West: buy two seats. not fair? No, no it isn't. that's life in the big city, toots.]

HagetakaUbutthaver761L U
Yeah, she basically went from ruining her seatmate's day to everyone around her in earshot.

Maybe her next column can be about how fat people are unfairly viewed as hostile, defensive, passive-aggressive and rude. Yesterday 11:33am

[nothing left but a grease spot, and she damn well knows it. her whining about being drunk at 7am is also strange, like others should know this or make special allowance for it. maybe dont get drunk before you have to get on a plane, Fatty Patty?]

LW is a big fat Swedish-American chick, the best feminist writer at jezebel. Very funny, very clever, not all that great a reasoner, unfortunately.

[ok this guy nailed it]

GreatPowerUKingCouth151L U
There is this...

"Him: "I said that if you want someone to move, it helps to say 'excuse me' and then get out of the way. You told me to move and then you just [gestures at my body in the aisle]."

The man claims she verbally told him to move, then gestured at her. The author never claims this was untrue and never actually mentions making that statement.

Either the man is a liar, or the author decided to leave out a key issue that would be the entirety of this man's actual complaint - being commanded to do something impolitely, by physically aggressive stranger.

Everyone is a victim inside the plane, the author eventually realizes this, but for some reason didn't realize it while dealing with this poor man who clearly felt marginalized and mistreated by what he felt was impolite action. Projecting your own body-image paranoia into a situation to make yourself feel like a victim and give you a chance to let loose some steam on a stranger is not classy or grown up. Americans should have more dignity than this, but sadly, no, we don't. Yesterday 12:18pm

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 25th, 2013 at 06:41 AM.