View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2019 #46
Dawn Cannon

Default Decent, Ordinary People

Dominique, 54, a childcare worker from rural Normandy, described how she saw her sons seriously wounded. One of them had his hand ripped off by, she believes, a sting-ball grenade on the Champs Élysées in Paris in November during a family day out to support the gilets jaunes demonstrations.

She said: “It was very calm where we were standing. There were a few people, a child, nothing extraordinary and suddenly my sons were hit. I remember seeing my son’s mutilated hand, his face and body peppered with shrapnel as if a paintbrush had been flicked at him. His brother, injured too, had to carry him because he couldn’t walk. I will never be able to forget those images.”

She said her 21-year-old son’s right hand was blown off and her other son had injuries to his leg and feet. “I saw things that even in a film I wouldn’t have believed. It was like a war. It was our first demonstration. I had no idea the police had weapons that could do that damage.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...injuries-paris