View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2008 #46
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jahn View Post
...Hitler was self-taught and made no attempt to hide the fact. The smug conceit of intellectuals, their shiny ideas packaged like so many flashlight batteries, irritated him at times. His own knowledge he had acquired through selective and unremitting study, and he knew far more than thousands of diploma-decorated academics...
That's a good example of German formality. Once a blowfish gets a degree, or (heaven forbid) a doctorate, that individual gets rewarded inquestionable credibility. No matter what the subject. If you decide to orient your carrer to what you like doing, instead of persuing the academic route, you will never be taken seriously. There are exceptions, of course, to be fair.
I enjoy subtily insulting my ol'lady as the degreed electrician, her mother as the degreed- carpenter, architecht and her brother as proffesor of bicycle sales. They know everything better. The straw that broke the camel's back happened Saturday when her son's intrusion overrided my advice, after I spent time getting the ball rolling on a favor she asked me to do. I told the old bag to consult him, before ever asking for my advice again