View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2009 #87
Alex Linder
Administrator

[from LRC blog]

On Doctors Serving The State
Posted by Kathryn Muratore on September 2, 2009 06:05 PM

Writes an LRC reader in response to my earlier post:

Thanks for the comments. Agreed. I am a doctor. I have a “no third-party” office. I only take money from the patients I treat. That’s the way it should be. It is ethical and highly satisfying and keeps me honest. If my patients don’t think my service is worth what I charge, then they don’t see me. Simple.

It is also a very good business model. I have very low overhead, no hassle, no confusion about co-pays, deductibles, formularies, referral authorizations, HIPPA compliance, CPT codes, audits…. Augh.
My prices are posted. I discuss the cost before any procedure or treatment. They are reasonable and honest. If it is an emergency, we treat first and then discuss costs later. It almost always works out fine. How anybody could practice medicine the way I used to is now beyond my comprehension.

Doctors who on the one hand decry the poor payment of MCR yet on the other hand (ab-)use the system to make more money year after year (doctor’s salaries continue to go up) and at the same time become more dependent on it are irrational and hypocritical.

I see MCR patients and tell them it costs $50, cash, credit or check. They like it.