View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2014 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Religion would be hilarious if it wasn't so fucking dangerous.

All religions are basically cults who believe varying levels of some fairly dubious shit. Talking snakes, people returning from the dead, have you ever read The Bible? I mean not just skim it, but truly get in there, not only the Cliff Notes quotations people bandy about when someone dies? There's some crazy stuff in there.

My opinion is that a certain percentage of Homo sapiens have a genetic predisposition to believe weird/outlandish stuff. They're easily influenced. Easily lead. Easily exploited.

Perhaps it's linked to an overall general lower intelligence? The brightest in any religion are using it as a tool. They're either making a living off the flock, or somehow bending it to suit an ulterior motive.
It's lack of imagination, conformity, and simple fear. 'Atheists' are a little more intelligent than average. Christians tend to be people incapable of thinking for themselves or generating their own code to live by, hence their distrust for atheists, who can. If you've ever seen a chart of the development of moral reasoning, most christians, or at least a very large minority, are at the level where you don't do something wrong because someone might be watching. They reason that since atheists don't believe in some Over-Parent spying on their actions, they won't have any reason not to steal, murder and do drugs. That's what the christian would do, so why wouldn't the atheist, who fears no god? Which is a further sign of the declasse-ness of the relgion - so many of the people who come to it as adults are at the end of a long road of drinking, drugs, prostitution and other popular loser activities. If you read my review of that Jesus book in the Books section, the writer specifically says the thing began as a breaking-bread cult for criminals/alcoholics/losers. I'm reading a little between the lines, he didn't say that openly, but his depiction seemed to me very akin to an alcoholics anonymous meeting. Didn't matter what race or class you belonged to, or what sins you had committed, you were welcome to break bread with your new buddies, and worship the newfound savior.