View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2006 #79
Rounder

Default Springfield, MO News-Leader Newspaper Article - 9 Mar 06

Democrats reject Miller congressional run; Candidate says he?ll file with GOP

James Goodwin
© 2006, Springfield News-Leader

Jefferson City ? Glenn Miller Jr., whose self-described "pro-white" newsletter has sparked anger and concern in southwest Missouri, will not run as a Democrat for the 7th Congressional District after all.

The Missouri Democratic Party has refused his $100 filing fee, which disqualifies him as a candidate for the party, a spokeswoman for the Secretary of State?s Office said today.

Miller said by phone that he would file Friday as a Republican instead.

"Personally, I don?t see any difference between the parties, but I?ve got to run as something," the Aurora resident said.

Jack Cardetti, spokesman for the state Democratic Party, said the party rejects Miller?s racist views.

"The Democratic Party is certainly a big-tent party, but that does not include white supremacists," Cardetti said.

"It?s our feeling that he has every right to run, but we will do everything we can to keep him off the Democratic Party ticket."

The spokesman for the Missouri Republican Party, when told of Miller?s new plan to file as a Republican, said, "Oh, Lord."

"We don?t support anybody who supports any kind of hate or racist views," spokesman Paul Sloca said.

Miller filed Monday to run for the position held by Congressman Roy Blunt, an Indian Point Republican who has yet to file. He has until March 28 to submit candidacy papers.

To qualify for the ballot, filers need a receipt from a political party, said Stacie Temple, a spokeswoman for the Secretary of State?s Office.

The office, which oversees elections, accepts filing fees on behalf of political parties, but it?s up to the parties to accept or reject the money.

"If the check is rejected, then (filers) are no longer qualified," Temple said.

If rejected by the Republicans, Miller might try running as Libertarian, an independent or a write-in candidate, he said.

"I?m going to exhaust all options to get on the ballot. I?m going to run," Miller said. "And I?m going to do a lot of campaigning."