Full Thread: Beer review
View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2007 #8
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default From the Dutch to you: Grolsch

I've always said Light and Beer are two words that usually don't belong together in the same sentence. Sort of like Jew and compassion. However, they are apropos in describing Grolsche Bierbrowerij's Grolsch Premium Lager. It's a pale yellow that looks almost Bud Light watered down in the glass. But don't be fooled into thinking it's a fair comparison. It's not. "Light" beer is almost universally bad. "Light or lite" beer is like making love in a canoe: It's fucking close to water Grolsch has been brewed in Enschede, Holland since 1615. It's a world class full golden lager. The head pours compact and stark white, and dissipates to a light skim within seconds in a clean, frosted glass. The hop aroma signature is initially quite sharp. It has that " pine forest" hop aroma that calls up visions of clear blue Alpine Lakes amidst snow-covered peaks common in beers/ales that use the hops that grow in the low Alps of our Aryan homeland Europe. The beer has a very slight fruity taste in the mouth that no doubt is a nice aspect of the type of strongly aromatic hops used. The finish is crisp and clear, as one would expect from the lightly malted offering from the lowlands. This is a fine example of a classic European lager. Great to have after mowing the lawn in August, or a hard day's work with Einsatzgruppe A. 8.7 on the scale, it's a cut above any mass produced 'Kwan lager. It's widely available, and the cost was $7.99. WWW.GROLSCH.COM