View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2008 #3
Jack Black

Default What British Children Need To Know!

On 28 May 2008, The Daily Mail reported thus:

Quote:
Schoolchildren as young as seven have been given a booklet containing graphic information about sexual abuse.

The guide, produced by the charity ChildLine, a branch of the NSPCC, tells youngsters what sexual abuse is and includes a quiz asking them to identify situations that constitute abuse…

The booklet contains graphic information about how to spot sexual abuse

The 20-page illustrated booklet, entitled In The Know and looking at all kinds of child abuse, was handed out to Year 3 pupils at Thomas A Becket School, in Worthing, West Sussex…

But after complaints from parents, the school was forced to recall it. The local education authority has admitted the literature, aimed at an age group of eight to 11, should have been checked more thoroughly…

Father-of-two Michael Auty, 37, said the book could do more harm than good.

'I think it's totally wrong for this to be aimed even at 11-year-olds. It's putting ideas in their heads. I don't want my kids to look at their uncles and think, ‘He might try and do something to me.’ It would harm the family. It's up to parents to explain to kids what they should do if they find themselves in a particular situation but the language in this booklet is just too graphic.'

Dr Adrian Rogers, of the pressure group Family Focus, said he had concerns about the material in the booklet being directed at pre-teens…

‘I'm afraid that by informing all children about this sort of thing some of them may actually be harmed as a result’…

A spokeswoman for the charity said… the sexual references in the booklet were all covered by the compulsory national curriculum'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...year-olds.html

The booklet has been distributed to schools across Britain by Childline, with the blessing of local education authorities.

In one section titled, Hands Off My Body, it invites children to take a quiz with the questions:

Quote:
Which one is sexual abuse: You have an itchy vagina. The doctor asks you to take you knickers off so he can see what the problem is. Your uncle promises you a new MP3 player if you take your knickers off and sit on his lap.
A spokesman for Childline said:

Quote:
The magazine gives important facts in child-friendly, understandable language and includes information which we believe children need to know.
NSPCC Children’s Participation Officer, Serena de Cordova, said this, prior to the introduction of the booklet:

Quote:
We consulted children across eight separate focus groups to develop a product which was just right for young people. We used exercises, role-plays and storyboards to find out what young people felt was important to include and how best to make it accessible to 8 to 11-year-olds.
The NSPCC blurb added:

Quote:
A new educational booklet to help children keep themselves safe is being offered to 348 schools in Staffordshire as part of the NSPCC’s Don’t Hide It campaign. In the Know is aimed at children aged 8 to 11 and uses colourful illustrations, quizzes and cartoon strips to help tackle the difficult subject of child abuse.
The booklet may be found in PDF format here:

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/publi...w_wdf48158.pdf

Serena de Cordova says this on the first page:

Quote:
Here’s In the Know and I really hope you enjoy it! You’ll find out inside how to stop things like bullying and racism.
In 2001, Serena de Cordova, of the National Black Youth Forum, represented the UK at the Durban: United Against Racism Conference.

This is what she said:

Quote:
My name is Serena deCordova. I am a Black young woman of Caribbean heritage living in the United Kingdom and through my involvement in the National Black Youth Forum, I work on a national level to implement positive change for Black children… and our communities in order TO ELIMINATE RACISM…

AS VICTIMS OF RACISM and many other forms of discrimination, children and young people are best placed to talk about those experiences which concern them and give some advice on solutions and remedies…

They are fully aware of how DISCRIMINATION manifests itself… How many more LIVES MUST BE LOST TO DISCRIMINATION? How many more RACIST acts must be committed?…

We, as young people, can place PRESSURE on our governments at a local and national level... There needs to be ADDITIONAL PRESSURE at the international level… We want governments who will paint a true picture of what the reality is like for their citizens!
What?

A true picture, Serena?

You must be joking, love. If THEY painted a true picture, you wouldn't got a freebie to South Africa in 2001 and you wouldn't have a job now where you got to patronise us and impose unnatural and worrisome sexual imaginings on our children.

Ms de Cordova continues:

Quote:
Who will engage in an open and frank dialogue about RACISM, RACIAL DISCRIMINATION, XENOPHOBIA and related INTOLERANCE, and WHO WILL TAKE ACTION!

This is the message we want to IMPRESS upon the international community.

My hope is that the stand of young people against RACISM is taken seriously!
I reckon the lady might be after a good deal more than that!

I rather think she might not have been too upset with Yasmin Alibhai-Brown when, in June 2006, she said of us "white guys":

Quote:
I don't like them. I want them to be the lost species in 100 years.
This is Serena de Cordova:

Childline serves a purpose, I guess.

But, once upon a time, we got along very well without it.

In times gone by, we looked after our own.

And then along came the Childines and the Serena de Cordova's to tell our kiddies what nasty people their uncles were.

Some are, of course.

But most, very definitely, are not.

Esther Rantzen thought the children of the British needed a Childline.

So she, and those who thought like her, made damn well sure we got one.

I think we Brits need a Rantzen-Cordova line.

To protect us from the Jewish and the Black do-gooder.