View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2007 #29
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrh8r View Post
I used "bladed weapons" rather than "swords" in the title, since this debate
can extend to knives/daggers, and to a limited degree, even polearms.

I've always found the sword to be the most beautiful and elegant of weapons. A tremendous amount of focus and concentration is required just to wield one without danger to oneself. After all, even a novice can pick up a weapon like the quarterstaff(rokushakubo) or nunchuku without suffering more than some nasty bumps and bruises. I've seen a friend lose most of a thumb trying to imitate Iaijutsu, which he said was "easy".

We know that thrusting and cutting(slashing) both have their pros and cons, but does one method have a distinct advantage over the other? Lets look at some of the facts:
Depends on what you want to do. I learned knife fighting from an uncle that grew up in the 50s when guys were tied at the wrists and went at it. The big thing I learned was that even a pocketknife, choked up and using only 1/4" of the blade makes shallow, painful slashes. I can attest that it works in real life and will get someone away from you. I suppose if you want to kill someone then a "bear slayer" huge blade is a good thing. I have a "bear slayer" that is a stainless diving knife. It's a big sucker that I keep in my bugout bag as a tool. It is impractical otherwise.

I carry a pocketknife, useful for the aforementioned as well as a lockback folding knife with a 4" blade. I consider the 4" blade the most useful tool to have and not just for defense but also for skinning, gutting, working, etc. The lockback I use is sold by Klein Tools, Inc. and came with a nifty holder with a belt loop.

Of course, some of you are getting into what I consider "esoteric" types of bladed weapons. I am just an average guy carrying something that noone gives a second look at. Show up with a cutlass and you'll get more attention than you want.

Quote:
Dies Irae Technique is only peripheral in a situation in which you're using a knife to defend your life. People who focus on technique will always lose to an opponent whose determination to win is greater. He who does not hesitate to do whatever is necessary to win will be the victor, provided there is hesitation and a lack of resolve from his opponent.
That is why I stick with slashing. Slice the forehead good and your opponent won't even be able to see.

Note that in police training they are taught to take a man with a knife OUT. Cops do not screw around with a knife wielder because they know that they are just this close to being sliced and diced.