Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2009 #99
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
Donnie,

Coffee grounds and eggshells are good, but that's for a small plot. It sounds like you are doing something large, in which case you need to contact local horse farms, pig farms, dairy, beef, sheep, chicken -- whatever you can get your hands on. You need a pickup truck, though a small dump truck would be ideal for you. They might load for you, or you might have to shovel it yourself.

Yea, I understand we'll need a great deal of organic fertilizer. I'm on it.

The same relative that has the fruit trees also boards a bunch of horses, so no worries there. They are heavily involved in the American Quarter Horse Association. The Quarter Horse Congress is held here locally each year. (and yes, I will have to shovel it myself.)

I asked about the eggshells & grounds because I also have access to large quantities of these. I learned that Starbucks locations save & give away their used coffee grounds, and I know several people who work in the restaurant business that could provide us with lots of both eggshells & grounds.

I'm not sure yet if I want an actual compost pile, or purchase one (or several) of those large barrel units that you turn with a handle to mix the compost.

One of the things we want to do is offer fresh produce to local Mom & Pop restaurants, of which there are quite a few in the area. We've already lined up a couple of orders for tomatoes.

Also, I'm not bored anymore.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; June 6th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.