View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2008 #73
Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Wow. That's amazing. Yes, Hodges Council (1643-1699) was my Council forefather. And yes, his father John Council who married Elizabeth Drake (a close relative of Sir Francis Drake according to one report, btw), was the first Council in America. John Council was born in England in 1597. Hodges and his wife, Lucy Hardy, had 8 children, all born in Virginia.

I already had those two wills, but not the map showing land ownership. Thanks.

I can't believe you know my grandmother's first name: Hannah. Maiden name Hannah Horne (or Horn) who married Jesse C Miller in Dillon county, SC (though it may have been part of Marion county at the time). Where did you find her name ?? She bore 10 children and raised 11, including a "woods colt" girl named Mattie Bell Miller, the offspring of my grandfather and a large, blue-eyed, blonde field hand. The other 10 named: Frazier Glenn Miller, Braxton, Robert, Ferald, Simon, Joe C, Eunice, Gerald Dean, Mildred, and Eugenie.

Anything you can find on them will be greatly appreciated.
Glad to be of assistance Rounder. I simply searched google and a few genealogy sites with some of the info you had disclosed here. That led me to a "Frazier Miller" and wife "Cora Lee Gray" with a son "Frazier Lee Miller" (who I first suspected to be your grandfather) living in North Carolina in the early 1900s. This, of course is not the right family. I figured that out based on your year of birth which you had also mentioned.

So then we're at a deadend, or "brickwall" as genealogists call it. Then I picked my copy of your book, of which one of the dedications on the first few pages was to your grandfather, J.C. Miller. Running "Jesse Miller" and "Horne" through the same sites that I started with lead me to Dillon County South Carolina and some info including Census indexes, obituaries, cemetery records, etc.

It seems that Hannah was born around 1894 and appears to be the daughter of a John Horne of Dillon (previously Marion) County SC. They are listed in the 1900 Census indexes for that area, but I haven't found a place to access those actual Census records online for free. Your parents are also already listed in the LDS database, however it doesn't give any info prior to J.C. and Hannah Miller.

I have turned up a little info on some of these Millers, which I'll PM you later, as some names and dates might be considered "sensitive" info.

Additionally, concerning the Allens, I found a chapter of a book online detailing descendants of Reynolds Allen and your immediate family is listed there.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...s/allens11.htm

More later.