View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2011 #118
Rick Ronsavelle

I heard the "like" word used in a similar manner in 1958. One day teacher Mrs. Leach announced in most somber voice: "we have a crisis. Pat Anderson is transferring into this class." Pat Anderson was the (female) troublemaker.

Pat's favorite expression- "well I mean LIKE woowww." Snotty, narcissistic bitchiness. The Beatnik generation was just starting- acting cool was in. It'z been a "Beatnik Party" ever since.

The Beat Generation is a group of American post-WWII writers who came to prominence in the 1950s, as well as the cultural phenomena that they both documented and inspired. Central elements of "Beat" culture included experimentation with drugs, alternative forms of sexuality, an interest in Eastern religion, a rejection of materialism, and the idealizing of exuberant, unexpurgated means of expression and being.

Allen Ginsberg's Howl (1956), William S. Burroughs's Naked Lunch (1959) and Jack Kerouac's On the Road (1957) are among the best known examples of Beat literature.[1] Both Howl and Naked Lunch were the focus of obscenity trials that ultimately helped to liberalize publishing in the United States.[2][3] The members of the Beat Generation developed a reputation as new bohemian hedonists, who celebrated non-conformity and spontaneous creativity.

The original "Beat Generation" writers met in New York. Later, the central figures (with the exception of Burroughs) ended up together in San Francisco in the mid-1950s where they met and became friends with figures associated with the San Francisco Renaissance.

In the 1960s, elements of the expanding Beat movement were incorporated into the Hippie counterculture.

Beat_Generation Beat_Generation

(I take pregnenolone- the strongest memory enhancer known. It seems to work too well sometimes. Dirt cheap.)

Last edited by Rick Ronsavelle; August 14th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.