View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2012 #59
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
It is very unfortunate that many German names are either ugly (Horst, for example) or just don't work in English. And per my comments to AA, I think it's wrong to try to bodily drag a 'new' ethnic name into English and make it happen, like the Irish would do with Seamus or Padraig or Siobhan or Declan or the 1001 others.
That's why I used Irish (Gaeilge) names as middle names for my kids. Their first names are not-unusual Italian or anglicized Irish names that were popular until modern faggot times. People usually ask what your middle name is, so if you verbalize it, there's no problem if it's Pádraig or Áine or what have you.

Quote:
Otto is a good male name, but not used these days. You can be a great man with the name Otto. It's simple, and it's ethnic. And unlike all the weak-ass Irish names, it's strong. And omigod do the middle-class wetters hate it. But when you're sitting in class with 1500 ryans and 3500 seans and 800 ians and 50 kierans and 25 declans... you will be the only Otto.
Weak-ass Irish names? Please. My middle name is my mom's maiden name, and it means 'Head-smasher' in Gaeilge. My mom's mom's means 'white warrior'. Otto is kind of a cool name though. Not to take away from that.