Full Thread: China under Mao
View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2017 #31
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
[comment i came across on web]

Mao's self- incrimination sessions are modeled on the Yale Theological schools examination of conscience sessions that became popular during the 'perfectionists' time- early 1800s. They sent missionaries to China for one hundred years, all of them soaked in these practices. Mao's wife was educated by missionaries. Mao's innovation was to take this obscure religious practice and apply it wholesale to an entire country in political practice.

[of course, i'd bet that the Yale exercises were adapted from the Jesuits, who started all that, far as i know. this is what 'illuminism' is, so far as techniques, per Libido Dominandi: it's the dark side or black use of the techiques developed by Jesuits to improve character, rededicated to control people by determining their guiding passion and using it against them]
Interesting, because I've read about the BITE model for 'thought reform' used by the Chinese Communists, and it is used in all similar groups.

But the idea of it coming from religious nuts is not something I thought about. Makes sense.
And that the Jesuits borrowed it from the Jews would also make sense.