Full Thread: Japan
View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2018 #8
Johan
Banned

I never watch TV, but I think I want to see a part of this program. It would be something if a Dutch edition comes.

In Japan, migrant raids and deportations turned into TV entertainment

AS JAPAN predicts a rise in the number of immigrants and foreign tourists in the coming years, a new television show has turned migrant deportations into entertainment.

The program provoked some outraged viewer reactions and insights about the plight faced by visa overstayers and undocumented migrants in Japan.

“At the very moment they were deported” in English, premiered on Fuji Television in a Saturday evening prime time slot on Oct 6, 2018.

Using a typical reality show format, the two-hour program follows a group of so-called “G-Men”, or immigration officers, employed by the Tokyo regional office of the National Immigration Bureau as they hunt down visa overstayers and so-called “illegal aliens” on camera.

In one segment, the immigration officers stake out the apartment of a Vietnamese man suspected of violating the conditions of his trainee visa. He and two others are arrested and interrogated on camera before being deported 24 hours later.

In another segment, the immigration officers storm a factory and detain a group of Indians suspected of being undocumented workers — the owners of the factory never appear on camera.

A final segment investigates the problem of Chinese “squatters” who have set up a vegetable patch on public land on an isolated stretch of riverbank in Kyoto.

More info here.

Last edited by Johan; October 15th, 2018 at 08:45 AM.