View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2012 #49
Hans Norling
Randomly mutated kveldúlfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Let me tell you something about the average citizen of the West. The one who doesn't keep up with news, the one who doesn't read or study much of anything. They don't even know what Breivik acted for. Think of that for a moment. They see it and hear, "oh, some guy in Norway shot 77 people" without ever even figuring out why. I've seen this mentality myself.
Why should I think about that? I have not said anything relevant to that. Of course most people outside of Scandinavia won't bother to read up on that specific case, they're too busy eyein' for more local news or don't care about the news at large.

Quote:
So, while actions like Breivik's may not help in the way Linder and others think, they certainly don't hurt.
Yepp, that they do and for the reasons I've previously stated more than once. The fact that the average joe in Spain or in the US don't care either way is not relevant to any of my arguments.

Quote:
The thing with academia was that it was once led by conservatives who had principled, though misguided, beliefs in intellectual freedom and curiosity. They let in a handful of leftist professors, who then got on hiring committees themselves. The left does not return the favor of giving intellectually curious students a different worldview. Those are conservative principles, and the left knows it.
I find no specific detail to disagree with on that simplification.