View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2013 #20
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarehead Chris View Post
I've been reloading since the late 70's.
I discourage buying mixed headstamp brass.
As any experienced reloader can tell you, there are considerable variations in brass between manufacturers, and even lot numbers of same manufacturers.

I suggest you build up a stock of brass from the same manufacturer and same lot number when possible.

Also, get yourself a good case trimmer, this is essential for consistent bullet seating, head spacing, primer sensitivity ect.
(all very important to consistent accuracy!)

I like the single stage presses myself.
I've seen questionable quality come out of the turret/progressive set-ups.

I enjoy putting the time, attention and TLC into each and every round I make.
Knowing full well that someday that exact round my save my life or the life of a loved one.
Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to brass these days.

I have a full length sizing die, case trimmer, factory crimp die, and a digital caliper to measure wall thickness. It isn't my preferred buy, but in these times, it is as good a deal as one can get. Buying (if you can even find) 100 unprimed casings will cost you $30 plus tax. Out of a thousand, chances are that you will have at least 100 usable Winchester, Remington, and UMC cases each. That would be over $100 for just those 300 casings. I have an additional 700 to sort through for less price.

Of course I could be completely wrong. But I will post the results of my buy for others to make judgement upon.

Hopefully, I am right. At worst, I should break even. I don't think I will lose on this buy.