View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2013 #20
Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Streed View Post
I've built several computers, desktop computers not laptop, although I've taken a few laptops apart to upgrade memory or swap out dead parts. The only desktop I ever bought was my first one, the rest of them I've built. If I can do it then almost anyone should also be able to do it. It is software I hate. I have used Linux operating systems for most of them I have built. Sometimes Linux can be pretty geeky to set up, and I'm not much of a software geek so it can be challenging. But once Linux is up and working it rarely causes problems, and I don't have to worry about a virus. I usually go with SUSE for a distro but have also used others, the old Dell Latitude D610 laptop I'm typing this on uses a stripped down distro called Puppy Linux. Boots in under a minute and is stable as a rock. I won't use that jew crap called Ubuntu or some such nigger name.
The PC I got has a SSD in it, and at the time the motherboard I was using had a new technology where the SSD can be used as a cashing device. Its a Z68 motherboard. SSDs are considerably faster than mechanical HDDs, but the issue comes down to space. It was a pain in the ass to get SSD caching setup. I actually had to reinstall windows about 3 times to finally get it done correctly. The instructions out there on the internet weren't always correct, or they were convoluted. So it took a decent amount of research to figure out how to make it work. 1 month ago, my SSD quit working on me, and then it was a royal pain in the ass to recover my files, but I managed to recover the bulk of my files. About 2 years of life out of the SSD, which is about average life out of an SSD from what I've heard.

Going from no SSD to just a 7200RPM HDD, is a noticeable. Boot times were twice as fast with the SSD, as well as loading times in general. And I could open up, lets say firefox immediately after booting up, and it would pop up immediately, whereas I have to wait a couple secs for windows the load the startup programs, which loaded instantly when on the SSD cashing device.

Also some of the newer Intel processors have stock clocks that are far lower than their capabilities. The one I'm using is an I5 2500k, and its stock clock is only 3.3ghz. I went in the bios, and bumped the multiplier up to x42, or 4.2ghz without modifying the voltage or anything, and its been stable ever since. I found out by doing some research that its common that processors of that model can be bumped to 4.0-4.4ghz and be stable without even modifying the voltage.

You don't need to be a geek to figure out hardware. The real geeks are the ones writing computer code, and that may as well be rocket science as far as I'm concerned. Me? I'm just a high-tech redneck.

Last edited by Crowe; December 7th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.