View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2009 #1405
DouglasReed
Don't call me Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamin2 View Post
Doug, When Jonoleth crushes your arguments, like the CeeCee thing, does that cause you pause or do you just move to what you think is the next 'fact' you base your beliefs on?
Oh lordy.

My argument is crushed is it? I see. So the fact that Mrs. Lyles was, according to all official sources, named Mrs. Castrillo when her 1997 license -- recovered from an airplane that wasn't there, and entered into evidence by lawyers in a Federal trial -- was issued is now no longer relevant, eh? How did that happen? I didn't see it. It was too fast for me. My argument got crushed so fast I completely missed it.

What Stiltskin does is try to bury you in a bunch mostly irrelevant noise so that hopefully you forget the impact of the simple points being made. Here he drones on about cell phones. Cell phones are something I actually know something about. There's about 15 different transmission modes used in the modern protocol. I don't know what it was like in 2001, but obviously it was not as good as today. The signal strength is being constantly evaluated so that the phone can hop between modes depending on which will give better results. Some are optimized for lower signal but a stationary transmission, so like when you're inside a building. Others are better for someone driving down a highway in a car. Some are better depending on how much data traffic there is, or where you're located within the cell, in the center or towards the edge. In the case of somebody driving down a highway, the session will have to be handed off to different base stations as you move through different cells. The modes optimized for a moving signal are capable of dealing with the hand off so it seems seemless to the person on the phone. That's for somebody going 60 miles an hour. I guarantee you, there are no modes optimized for -- or that could even begin to deal with -- a cell phone moving 500 miles an hour. It would pass in and out of cells so quickly that it would never even get through the initial handshake.

Go back a few pages to the post where I had the recording of the air traffic controller talking to the pilots. That's on a radio system optimized for communicating with an airplane. Now go back up three posts and listen to the recording of the "cell phone" call from "Mrs. Lyles." Isn't the quality just stunning?

Get a clue, baby. Better yet, go try your cell phone out next time you're on an airplane 30,000 feet in the air.