Full Thread: Animal photos
View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2014 #66
Alex Linder
Administrator

Hunter bags 500-pound wild boar you have to see to believe

'It takes your breath away for a second to realize how big this hog is,' hunting club owner says

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News

Jett Webb with the 500-pound boar he caught last month. (White Oak Ranch Hunting Club)

It doesn't even look real.

A hunter in North Carolina says he bagged a 500-pound wild pig last month.

Jett Webb, a 34-year-old from Conetoe, N.C., was hunting boar at the White Oak Ranch Hunting Club in Bertie County on Feb. 28 when he spotted the giant swine.

"It was very surreal,” Webb told WNCT-TV. “It was a shock. It was very humbling to say the least, when you walk up on a beast that big and you say, 'Oh my gosh. I had no idea that there could be something that big running around the woods of Eastern North Carolina.’"

The beast had been seen on trail camera footage years ago, but hunters had failed to capture it until Webb, who says he fired a single shot from a .308-caliber AR-15 rifle from about 50 yards, took it down.

"The Mohawk down the back, the tusks really lean, the muscular big front end," Webb said. "This is far from a domesticated docile pig that we're used to." Wild boars typically weigh between 100 and 200 pounds.

Mike Mansell, the president of the club, said while the wild boar population is invasive, the sheer size of the pig Webb nabbed is rare.

“It takes your breath away for a second to realize how big this hog is,” Mansell said. “It took up the entire bed of the pickup truck."

But while it's big, it's certainly not the largest boar ever bagged. In 2005, a guide at a hunting club in Alapaha, Ga., shot and killed an 800-pound hog known by locals as Hogzilla. The pursuit was the subject of a National Geographic documentary.

It also wasn't Webb's first big boar.

In 2012, he caught "a similar-sized" pig that's mounted on a wall of the White Oak Ranch Hunting Club. But this one won't be.

"We’re not going to waste anything,” Webb said. “That pig will provide food for me and my family for a good year."

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-hog-boar...133815315.html