View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2007 #45
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Summit Brewing Company's India Pale Ale

Achtung VNN beerophiles!

Summit doesn't brew good beer.

Summit brews great beer.

I want to get that out of the way right from the start.

The brewery, started in 1986, is located in St. Paul, Minnesota. Saint Paul must be the patron Saint of hops and malt.

I've recently just discovered this brewery, as it's new to my region. I have tried a number of their ales, along with their pilsner offering. They have all been world-class.

Summit Brewing Co's India Pale Ale pours the color of strong Iced Tea in the chilled pub glass. The minimal head is cream colored, and quickly dissipates to a light skim that remains to lace the glass all the way down.

Nice.

The initial aroma is noble hops, (Northern Brewer & East Kent Golding are used for bittering, Dry-hopped with whole hop flower East Kent Golding) spicy and with a trace of citrus. A slight "warm biscuit" aroma is also there.

The taste is full bodied, with the malt playing the perfect subdued-but-there low note for the big hoppy bitterness that finishes Gobi Desert dry. Making you really want another.

This stuff is like crack, without the niggers.

Not that I smoke crack.

It's called a metaphor, you public school graduate bastards.

But I digress.

Mouth feel is very light, (2-row pale malt is used) and non-coating.

6.4% ABV, so like all true IPAs, it packs a noticeable non-Bud Light kick.

12.99 for the "Holiday Pack" that includes 3 India Pale Ales, 3 Extra Pale Ales, 3 Winter Ales and 3 Pilsners.

WWW.SUMMITBREWING.COM