Full Thread: #1 Garden Thread
View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2009 #14
Wade Thalweg

Check out

http://rareseeds.com/

I grew their Cream of Saskatchewan

WATERMELON (Citrullus vulgaris) 25-35 seeds per packet. We're #1 in heirloom watermelons–check our selection! Thrives in summer heat. A long-standing crop in the South, where it was originally transported by slaves from Africa. Sow the seed one-half inch deep outdoors after frost-season is over and soil is warm. Soil should be rich and well-amended with compost or manure. Sow the seed 6 inches to one foot apart, in rows 6-8 feet apart. Or sow in hills 6-8 feet apart, 5 seeds per hill, and thin to the best three plants. Where summers are short or cool, try "icebox" (very small) types; or try any variety that comes from cooler, northerly climates. May be started indoors from seed no more than 2-3 weeks prior to setting-out date, and never let watermelon seedlings become root-bound in their pots. Watermelon is probably ripe when the light patch on the underside has changed to pale yellow, and the tendril immediately opposite the stem from the fruit has withered.

Attention, Watermelon Farmers: Due to Watermelon Fruit Blotch, growers who want watermelon seed in quantities over 1 oz (per variety) must sign and return a waiver before shipment. For information call: 417-924-8917

Cream of Saskatchewan
80 days A beautiful little melon with sweet, tasty, cream-colored flesh! An excellent variety for the North. Fruits around 8-10 lbs each, with a striped, green rind. A favorite of those who grow it! An old heirloom.

Item Code: WM133
$2.50

It was excellent and it had a very thin rind, ie will not ship well. You would never be able to by something like that in the store. Latter this fall I was paging through a book of Ostfront pictures there was a soldat digging into a watermelon that look exactly like it.

An old trick used by the Mennonite Farmers in Russia was to boil down watermelons for the sugar and use it to make bread. Like I say sugar may be too expensive for us if we have to buy it over seas and we need to save our ZOG Bucks for Whipping.