View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2009 #23
Larry Heinberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr View Post
If one admires, sees good,etc. in the achievements of their ancestors, people, and country, then it is perfectly logical that this person would concern themselves with their preservation, correct?
Yes I suppose, though I'm not sure what you take that to mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr View Post
Yes, such people will tell you, just as this guy does, that it is silly and illogical to take pride in the deeds of your ancestors and then they will turn around and say you must feel guilt and atone for the what they chose to label the "bad" deeds of your ancestors. That kind of double think is illogical.

Try to rationalize that one for me, Larry.

Let's take the Germans as an example. If every individual German is basically nothing more than an accident of birth who would be completely foolish for taking any kind of collective pride in the achievements of those who came before them, then they also should not be forced into this neverending guilt about any supposed deeds of those who came before them. *snip* Agreed?
Absolutely!

The German people living today should be considered in no way responsible. (The same more or less applies to most Germans living at the time for that matter.)

As I see it, the difficulties here arise when modern people are profiting from the crimes of their ancestors. I don't know how to resolve that, since modern people mostly enter such profitable situations by luck, and don't deliberately exploit past crimes.

The descendants of colonists are an example of this.

Quote:
Deeds you people keep using to bleed them.
Ha, don't you think this is a little inconsistent? You say people can't inherit guilt, but then imply that I'm guilty for the actions of others of "my" race.

(I'm actually British by blood, and certainly not a Jew by religion haha).