View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2005 #36
Mike Mazzone of Palatine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Beukeboom
Is it incorrect to bend your knee on the way down instead of keeping it more or less straight ahead of you (when I bend my knee, my lower leg is behind me)...looks almost like a ballet movement of some kind.
I've been incorporating this sort of one legged squat in my exercise program for a couple of weeks now....very challenging...I've tried the pistol squat the normal way but can not balance or do a below parallel rep without falling on my ass...

advice appreciated.

About one arm pushups: I've been told that you are only asking to tear up your shoulders doing them.
I still enjoy weights though. I like the sound of the iron clanging around.

Bike riding is great, just beware of the many idiot drivers out there.
It sounds like you are doing the pistol squats right. I have to bend my knee a bit when I do them, too, because its hard to get my leg completely straight. Just try to keep your foot off the ground. There is another variation of the one legged squat that I did for a while to build up to doing the pistol squat: Bend your knee to where your foot is behind you and bend down to your knee and come back up with out using your other foot to boost you. Some people who are too heavy to do the pistol squat find that this works fine for them, but mastering the pistol squat gives you an excellent workout.

I would highly recommend you read Pavel's book "The Naked Warrior" before trying one arm pushups. If you can get the form right every time, you won't have to worry about tearing up your shoulders.