Full Thread: Hummingbirds
View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2017 #4
Susan

Yes, Mike, apparently the honey bees have made a comeback. When I put up the first hummingbird feeders a few weeks ago, they were covered in honeybees!!! You could hardly see the feeders. The birds didn't show up for another few days and by then the first batch of nectar had gone bad, but there have continued to be honeybees everywhere.

Now, I also see the honeybees and the larger, darker bees (I guess they're all the carpenter bees) buzzing around my flowers all day long. But I called the bird store at the Mall of Georgia and the guy said yes, he had seen tons of honeybees and had been told they've made a comeback.

I live on the edge of woods so I get all kinds of critters. A few weeks ago there was a huge black rattlesnake lurking on the ledge at the top of my carport. I nudged him with a broom and he soon slithered away. Last year I disturbed a copperhead that was napping under some magnolia leaves on the ground and I raked right over him. I stood over him for an hour trying to get my nerve up to chop his head off with a shovel but I never could. Finally, he got bored with me and slithered off into a pile of mulch. lol

I don't know where you are Emily but you have to put up at least ten feeders in your front or back yard if you want to see more than one at a time. But, put them up and they will come.