Full Thread: Booklog (Linder)
View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2009 #4
OTPTT
Banned

Currently reading The Veterans Survival Guide: How to File and Collect on VA Claims 2nd Ed. by John D. Roche.

One might wonder why I am reading such a book. The following is found in one of thousands of documents regarding the water contamination at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

I drank the below cocktail for over a year while stationed at Camp Lejeune.

Quote:
Expected Influent and Effluent Concentrations

The contaminants in the groundwater which need to be treated include: benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes, l,f-dichloroethene (1,2-DCE), trichloroethene (TCE), several inorganics, and oil & grease. Based on the existing data/information, the expected maximum concentrations of these compounds in the influent to the STP and the required effluent concentrations are listed below.

Compound

Benzene 7900 ug/l
Ethylbenzene 1900 ug/l
Toluene 16,000 ug/l
Xylenes 9,800 ug/l
TCE 14,000 ug/l
1,2-DCE 42,000 ug/l

Rate of Flow

Under the recommended interim remedial option, it is estimated that the rate of groundwater being discharged to the STP system would range from 40 gallons per minute to 160 gallons per minute. The high flow rate would not be reached until approximately five years of operation. The duration of the system is not known but has been assumed to be 30 years (per EPA guidelines).
Based upon what I've learned about the VA and the way veterans are treated I also purchased Claim Denied: How to Appeal a VA Denial of Benefits by John D. Roche.

Last edited by OTPTT; November 10th, 2009 at 11:04 PM.