View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2014 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSanders View Post
Twice a year, we have the kids box up toys and stuffed animals they no longer play with and donate them to Goodwill and Salvation Army. At the same time we donate lightly used items we no longer require for the home. For the kids it is an exercise on the 'feel good' benefits of a giving heart while making our home less a disaster area of 'things'. The older I get, the more I realize we don't own things, things own us.
That's quite true. Particularly if you have any health or other limitations, this hits you full force - how much psychic energy is involved with keeping material things in order. When you put your full attention on the subject, often you realize, no, I really don't need this thing. If it doesn't add value to your life, as the minimalists phrase it, why keep it around? Sell it for money or give it to people who it will add value to, or junk it.

This week I gave away some wingtips I've had for twenty years but not worn much and a very interesting small lampshade. Why interesting? Because I'm not sure what it was made of. Hopefully not a defunct jew.