View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2007 #33
Sean Martin

They produce some really nice single hand open knives with a clip for easy access. I don’t see why someone would be confined to just slashing or thrusting. Get a good knife with a sharp point then you can do both. However you won’t be able to do either one if you can’t sharpen a knife. I am amazed at the number of people who don’t know how to properly sharpen a knife. The reason is most books and websites on the subject show a person how to sharpen a knife for cutting boxes or whittling not fighting.

Any knife I carry is sharp enough to shave, that way there is no effort in cutting. It dulls quicker than a knife with a slightly duller edge but if I need to cut something I want my knife to be ready on the spot to do the job. I can always sharpen it later when I am finished.

You don’t have to spend a bundle to get a good knife. I would spend $40 max for a good functional knife. I know people who spend $200 on a pocketknife then lose it or break it. Get a good $15-25 knife from Wal-mart, keep the receipt and if it doesn’t function as promised take it back for a refund or exchange.