Full Thread: Turdcoil Nightbulbs
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2013 #35
Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland

Excellent analysis why CFL's are a rip off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Böse View Post
I only use halogen lamps, they make nice bright light. I hope our dear leaders don’t ban those as well.
Halogen is a type of incandescent, and gives off brighter whiter light because the filament is a slightly higher temperature.

Currently in America you can buy a 72 watt halogen bulb that looks just like a regular light bulb. Unfortunately, these 72 watt halogen replacements are not really as bright as a 100 watt bulb. The packaging deceptively claims it is a "100 watt equivalent", but actually it puts out 10% less light. The old 100 watt incandescent bulb put out 1690 lumens, the new 72 watt halogen puts out only 1490 lumens. So why can't they manufacture an 80 watt halogen? The asinine law bans higher wattages above 72 watts, although 150 watt bulbs are allowed, so long as their sales do not double (if too many people start buying them), then the current law automatically bans them too.

Furthermore, these 72 watt halogen bulbs will not be able to meet the new efficiency mandate that "phases" into effect in 2020. What options will be available then, I have no idea, but I am not optimistic. I imagine there will be severe consumer outrage when those 72 watt bulbs go away.

Oh yes, one more thing. Because these new more efficient halogen bulbs operate the white hot filament at a higher temperature inside, the filament is more vulnerable to sagging and breaking. The temperature of the filament in these new higher efficiency halogen bulbs are 290ºF hoter. So although they are rated to last 1000 hours, these new halogen bulbs will burn out much faster if subjected to frequent vibration or even if they are used sideways. Not many people are aware of this minor disadvantage, and it is not a problem for other types of halogen bulbs. It's not exactly something the manufacturers want to advertise.