Full Thread: Albanian Activity
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2016 #49
Serbian

'I won't be happy until I reach England': Inside the clifftop tents in France where grinning Albanian economic migrants refuel for their next assault on Britain

By Arthur Martin In Dieppe, France For Mailonline

Published: 12:20 EST, 2 June 2016 | Updated: 12:45 EST, 2 June 2016

Huddled under a warm blanket, Bedri Gasi grins and gives the thumbs up sign.

The 17-year-old is one of around 150 Albanians who have just been given large humanitarian white tents, sleeping bags, rugs by a charity.

Médecins Sans Frontières set up 17 large humanitarian aid tents along a ledge on a cliff overlooking the northern French port of Dieppe last night.

From there the migrants plan their daily attempts to get past security officials and sneak onto one of the lorries bound for Britain.

Before the arrival of the white tents, the Albanians slept in flimsy tents which have been battered by rain, high winds and rocks from the crumbling cliff-face in recent weeks.

Their old blankets and mattresses were so wet that some slept in Dieppe train station to keep warm.

But the new 7ft tents has given the Albanians a renewed sense of optimism as well as a place to dry their clothes.

Today the migrants proudly gave MailOnline a tour of their new camp.

In each tent, grinning Albanians showed off their new sleeping bags, rugs and blankets.

Up to eight Albanians sleep inside each one - although the tents could accommodate double that number.

Each tent has a large porch where muddy shoes are placed carefully on wooden planks.

Outside, trenches have been dug around each tent to funnel the rain water away.

Bedri said: 'I am happy because I am warm but I am always hungry. I am pleased but I won't be really happy until I reach England.

'I have a brother in London and I want to get over to live with him. We all have brothers or cousins in England and we all want to join them.'

Another, who asked to remain anonymous, said: 'This is a good temporary situation and we are smiling - but of course we cannot stay here forever. The UK is our goal.'

The migrants live along a dangerous ledge which sits a third of the way up a cliff overlooking the port.

There is a sign next to their camp warning of falling rocks and they said their tents have been hit by parts of the cliff which has crumbled away in the past week.

Some of their old tents are still standing and several Albanians continue to sleep in them.

Many are beyond repair and have huge rips where they have been hit by falling rocks.

One Albanian, who declined to give his name, said: 'Two of us were sleeping in a tent two days ago when the rock hit us. It broke the tent. We were lucky not to get injured.'

The white tents arrived just hours after one of the Albanians admitted he was deported from the UK earlier this year.

The 24-year-old, who calls himself Jimmy Korbi, worked in construction jobs on the black market in London before being caught by immigration officials.

He and others were deported back to Albania on flights funded by the taxpayer. But in a classic example of the immigration merry-go-round, they simply returned to the French coast by coach or lorry weeks later and are trying to sneak back into the UK again.

The Albanians say they are targeting smaller ports such as Dieppe because the security around Calais has been beefed up in recent months.

The ferry terminal in Dieppe is markedly quieter than Calais where dozens of vans filled with police patrol nearby streets.

Others are paying smugglers between £7,000 and £8,000 each for places on speedboats or lorries heading across the Channel.

They admit they are economic migrants looking to earn more money, rather than refugees fleeing persecution or war zones.

read full article at source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti..._campaign=1490

''Screw your optics, I'm going in'', American hero Robert Gregory Bowers