View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2013 #30
TimothyLeeAdams

Default Kershaw

Having used knives and other edged weapons for a few decades now, I finally switched from Gerber to Kershaw about 10 years ago. Initially it was because my Gerber quickglide folder's sliding lock showed a tendency to open while being carried as it wore. I replaced it with a nice ($85) Kershaw locking folder in tanto blade style, which I have banged around hard and kept sharp to this day. Recently, needing a smaller knife for times when my larger one might cause problems, I purchased one of Kershaw's 25 dollar locking folders in a smaller but similar blade style, with rubberized grip slabs.

The difference between the two knives is how they open. The cheaper knife uses a finger stud on the back of the knife to allow you to flick it open. It's fast, but not nearly as comfortable or instinctive as the thumb edge opener on the more expensive knife.

For the money I haven't found a better set of knives, despite the cheaper one's being made overseas, so far it's proven to be rugged and well designed. The only thing I don't like is the strange finger maneuvering required to fast-draw and open the thing with the finger stud.

I don't think I would attempt any heavy work with the cheap knife, but as a pocket or backup weapon it seems capable enough for the job.