View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2012 #76
Alex Linder
Administrator

Alex Linder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McQuade View Post
That's why I used Irish (Gaeilge) names as middle names for my kids. Their first names are not-unusual Italian or anglicized Irish names that were popular until modern faggot times. People usually ask what your middle name is, so if you verbalize it, there's no problem if it's Pádraig or Áine or what have you.
That's an interesting point, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. You really only have to use it on forms.

Middle names are mostly for getting teased over. Mine is 'Ruedy,' which is my mom's maiden name, a Swiss surname. But it's pronounced just like that movie weirdo that played loser at Notre Dame.

Quote:
Weak-ass Irish names? Please. My middle name is my mom's maiden name, and it means 'Head-smasher' in Gaeilge. My mom's mom's means 'white warrior'. Otto is kind of a cool name though. Not to take away from that.
Yes, they mean those things, I just don't think things Gaelic come off as tough. They may BE tough, but I'm talking about sound. Tough and frightening is not what we want from Irish words and accents, we get it with people like Schwarzenegger - the German feel, kind of implacable, aggressive, clipped. With Irish, we want something softer and curled, and lyrical and suggestive and delightful. If you see what I mean. Individuals can be this or that, but the sound of their language and the tenor of their mentality go better with certain associations. German is flatter, squarer. Irish is jauntier, curlier. So German naturally works with anything direct and aggressive, whereas Irish goes better with music and charm. But I'm just talking sounds, not actual meaning in native tongue.