Full Thread: Pop Books
View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2012 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
I've now begun to read pulp novels with the idea of taking the basic plot outlines, switching around some details, stripping out the characters and inserting my own. Purely a mental exercise at this point, but who knows what the future holds.
I don't think it was worth it until recently. Wolzek investigated this stuff pretty carefully about 10 years ago, and there were options but they were either traditional publishing (impossible for WN), vanity publishing (too expensive) and some freaky technical stuff (book toasters and book-publishing machines) that were either not good enough or too expensive. Now you can publish stuff pretty easily online, and sell it as ebook or softcover, and for whatever price you like, with a very fair return. Amazon seems to offer 35% or 70% depending on your pricing. Once the book is published it's pretty much a passive income stream.

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, like I said in the earlier post, the White-ward skew would probably have to be done in a way that doesn't poke the reader in the eye. I doubt that a wide-openly racist novel would be allowed on, say, Amazon.