View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2010 #105
Rob MacGregor
Harvester of yidflies

To the OP

For a newbie carrier the .38 is the way to go.. it's merits have already been hashed out. You will need to keep lint and debris cleaned out of it as revolvers pick up that stuff like magnets and it can be disastrous (locked up cylinder and maybe even a kaboom from severely obstructed barrel) I would recommend a stainless Ruger SP101 or a S & W J frame if it's going to be pocket carry. The S & W has a better trigger, the Rugers usually have a better barrel profile and are sturdier. Get at least a 2.25 inch barrel, a 3 inch is better but less concealable in a pocket. Note that even stainless can rust so keep it clean and lightly lubed.. especially the crane/interior of the cylinder where the revolving occurs. These little buggers are difficult to shoot well at any distance but up close they can do the trick. Carry at least one speedloader on your person, and learn the police style reload technique

Speedloader usage and types. We like HKS types, they are more compact and very reliable

Here's some good advice on handguns

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_types.htm

My wife has always used revolvers.. M65 .357 magnum as primary, M649 Bodyguard .38 for backup and jogging with a fanny pack. We are converting her over to our new Glock M23s, and we are looking hard at the Ruger LCP .380s as backup/derringers. She will likely still use her .38 for jogging and such, but those little Rugers are TINY and effective enough if used correctly (IE accurately empty the magazine, they are not "clips") For her the Ruger will be a deep concealment backup piece for business. For me the Ruger will be literally a boot gun as I will never give up my Star Firestar 9MM as a second CCW. I love that little gun, it's the nickel Starvel finish and has done good by me for decades. Fits in my front jeans pocket and saw me through some scary times in literal ghettos where I had to work

Watch any three gun competition or the Magpul training vids and you'll quickly see the weakness of the revolver in modern combat.. unless you are an ace like Mikulek you will do better with an auto.. you must train, however!

[Formerly Son of the Mist at scamfront.. hail to my friends here, I've missed ya]