View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2020 #25
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
If jews and negroes hate the English language so much, why don't they speak Yiddish or Hebrew or in the case of blacks, whatever simian noises they made in the part of Africa they originally came from?
That's what many orthodox jews in Jew York do:

Quote:
New York is trying to reform the Orthodox yeshiva system, which some graduates say barely taught them to speak English

BY JOSEFIN DOLSTEN JANUARY 13, 2020 11:50 AM

NEW YORK (JTA) — Gene Steinberg was born and raised barely an hour outside New York City, but well into adulthood he could barely speak the language of his native country.

Raised in a mostly Hasidic community 50 miles northwest of Manhattan, Steinberg, now 43, attended schools where Yiddish was the primary language of instruction. Until age 12, he received only an hour of instruction in secular subjects each day. After that, the number dropped to zero. From early morning until late in the evening, he spent his time immersed in the study of Jewish texts.

When he went to enroll at a community college at the age of 37, he was told he had to take an English class aimed at new immigrants.

“I had a conversation with the person in charge and the first question she asked me [was], ‘When did you immigrate? What year?’” Steinberg recalled. “And I tried to explain to her, I didn’t immigrate. I was born here.”

In Kiryas Joel, a village in Orange County, New York, where the majority of residents are Yiddish speakers affiliated with the Satmar Hasidic sect, he “learned almost nothing, even in basic English, basic math,” he said.

After deciding he no longer wanted to live a Hasidic lifestyle, Steinberg signed up for classes at Rockland Community College, which directed him to enroll in a remedial program to prepare him for college-level coursework. When he tried to take an introductory biology class, he found that he lacked even basic scientific knowledge.

“Almost every class had instances like that where I had a void where I couldn’t understand and needed to catch up because I was missing basic education. And then I also found I had to study three times as long as the average student in my class,” recalled Steinberg, who founded a support group for formerly haredi Jews called Freidom in 2012.

Gene Steinberg, second from left in front row, with members of Freidom, the support group he founded for former haredi Orthodox Jews. (Freidom)
https://www.jta.org/2020/01/13/unite...-speak-english

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
If jews and negroes hate the English language so much, why don't they speak Yiddish or Hebrew or in the case of blacks, whatever simian noises they made in the part of Africa they originally came from?
That's what they do. I believe it's called "Ebonics".