View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2015 #15
keifer

I had a Rambo knife years ago. I sold it and bought a real knife. Knives with saw tooth spine are about useless. The knife has design limitations that are restricted to one hand sawing, and you forfeit the ability to baton fire wood with it or strike the spine with flint. The saw tooth also inhibits two handed knife techniques that involve clasping the spine for more precise and controlled manipulation. A saw tooth knife spine also requires a specialty sharpening device. A good knife has a sharp 90 degree spine that adds two extra edge surfaces for light work like making wood shavings, striking a ferro rod or fleshing a hide. Don't waist your money on knives that are not full tang as the Rambo knife is not, but it is a hollow and weaker handle. You will get more user options from a knife that is designed simple. Seems I remember the Rambo knife also has a Hollow grind on the edge, making it fragile to breaking, chipping and constant edge maintenance. I would never use a stainless steel knife (like the Rambo knife) for a survival situation.