View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2012 #23
Alex Linder
Administrator

[We've lost all perspective on how ridiculous this is - the police now routinely across Europe spend their time investigating people saying 'bad' things about other people.]

Police investigate alleged racist Twitter abuse of Ashley Cole and Ashley Young

FA expresses concern over Twitter comments after footballers missed penalties at Euro 2012

Police are investigating a Twitter user's alleged racist abuse of Ashley Cole and Ashley Young after they missed penalty kicks at Euro 2012.

In a series of tweets, the user appeared to goad other users who criticised him. Later he wrote: "All I got to say is this was just a joke, you guys need to relax, police know i was kiddin around and they won't bother me hopefully, cheers."

Another tweet said: "The police won't bother me mate i can assure you that."

A Metropolitan police (MPS) spokesman said on Monday: "We are aware of alleged racist comments on Twitter following last night's England game and have launched an investigation.

"The allegation was made to MPS on 25 June by a member of the public relating to comments on a Twitter account supposedly based in London."

He said no arrests had been made.

The Football Association said in a statement: "We are concerned at the reports regarding allegations of abuse aimed at England players Ashley Cole and Ashley Young on Twitter.

"They have just given everything for the national team at Euro 2012 and it is appalling and unacceptable that messages of an abusive type are being posted. We support any police investigation in identifying who is behind this."

Cole and Young have returned home with the rest of the England team after the 4-2 penalty shoot-out defeat in the quarter-final against Italy.

Liam Stacey, 21, from Pontypridd, South Wales, was jailed for 56 days in March after racially abusing two Twitter users and mocking the Bolton footballer Fabrice Muamba when he collapsed and almost died during a match.

Stacey, a student in the final year of a three-year biology degree, was also banned from Swansea University for the rest of the year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...-abuse-twitter