View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2014 #24
Alex Linder
Administrator

[Senior Speakers candidacy statement, published in Pomona College's The Student Life, Friday, April 8, 1988]

Alex Linder

As one who has attended several graduations, let me first assure you that I appreciate your concerns about the speaker. Most importantly, you do not want to pick someone who will embarrass you in front of your parents.

To this end, in my speech I will focus on unifying and uplifting themes, avoidign the divisive political polemics that, while the staples of Opinions pages, are inappropriate in a graduation ceremony.

That said, you also want a speaker who can transcend mere platitude; someone with a bit of insight. My writings in Student Life attest to my ability in this area.

Without getting into the content too deeply, my speech will cover traditional themes in an enthralling and stimulating way. I will, among other things, refer to the words engraved in stone on College Avenue. My speech will have the proper mix of tradition and novelty; a bit of spice, and, although I can't guarantee I'll cry, a bit of sentiment.//