Full Thread: 'peak oil'
View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2009 #55
Kievsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post

Of the 30 countries with nuclear power, the percentage of electricity supplied by nuclear ranged widely:

78 percent in France
54 percent in Belgium
39 percent in Republic of Korea
37 percent in Switzerland
30 percent in Japan
19 percent in the USA
16 percent in Russia

France’s EDF, their public/private utilities company tried to get permission from the US to build nuclear plants in the US. Nope! No can do. That’s funny. It takes the French about 7 years from decision to on-line plant. In the US—15 years minimum. Toshiba of Japan is building small autonomous nuclear plants the operate without humans. They are essentially huge batteries about 20 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet. They are delivered on flatbed truck, hooked up, and run for twenty years. When they run down, a flatbed truck picks it up, drops another one off, and takes the old one off to be recycled.

But, it doesn’t matter. Steve B. is right. We’ve still got enough oil, that without drilling another well we couldn’t run out if we tried. Google searches are useless. You can prove anything by cherry-picking Google searches. If you don’t have any inside information, it’s hard to come up with anything persuasive. Do I have inside sources? Well, kinda. I know two men who worked at Prudhoe Bay. One, a grunt; the other a metallurgist and professional engineer. Both have told me that there are giant reserves at Prudhoe Bay, already tapped, and capped. They are just sitting there, waiting for…? I’m from the Texas Gulf Coast, and I’ve heard the same for there. I’ve heard it as well about off California. Could all these people I know, be lying? Fuck no. They are just ordinary men. They have no agenda, and they are not dumb or foolish. They just report what they’ve seen.

None of this has anything to do with biotic or abiotic oil. The question is interesting, but the answer is not needed to understand that we are not about to run out of oil. Nor has anyone that I know of on this forum ever suggested that oil is inexhaustible. Maybe someone has, but I can’t recall that. Oil may possibly run out…who knows? But it won’t run out in our lifetimes, or become scarce, or even diminish in any measurable way. Maybe someday, but not for a long time, probably hundreds of years.

Mike

Can someone tell me what font and size to use in Microsoft Word, so that when I compose a post and paste it into the forum, it comes out looking normal. I used to do this, and it worked. Either something has changed, or I've gotten senile. I wonder if there is a cure for that?

Mike in Denver,

I grant the possibility of a vast conspiracy to hide the real oil reserves. Perhaps manufactured oil shortages will be used as an "artificial famine."

Even if oil is infinite, fresh water and topsoil are also failing. Industrial Agriculture is destined to fail within the next few decades if not sooner. Industrial Ag rests on a tripod of fossil fuels, water, and soil, and if any single one of these resources fails, Industrial Ag fails and we have mass starvation and die-off.