View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2013 #69
Alex Linder
Administrator

[i thought i'd already created a #1 country music thread, but could not find it. So resurrected this one and renamed it. I, for one, enjoyed my obnoxious monomaniacal harping on the One True Meaning of Haggard's "Mama Tried." Anyway, the proximate reason for digging up is this article I saw the other day with 'proof that every country music song this year (2013) was the same." Which fits our theme.

http://gawker.com/proof-that-every-c...act-1488547290

Proof That Every Country Music Song This Year Was Exactly the Same

Quote:
When country music critic Grady Smith sat down to write his list of the top 10 Best Country Albums of 2013 he made a startling revelation: All the chart-topping country songs of 2013 sounded exactly the same.

Not in the sense that they all sound like country-pop songs — that's a given — but in the sense that even the lyrics are carbon copies of each other.

Truck - check. Dirt road - check. Sugar shaker in painted-on jeans - check.

In the hopes that country music fans "will stop settling for this derivative junk," Smith made a video to illustrate his point. "I'm holding up a mirror to a genre I care a lot about," he tweeted. "Here's to better music in 2014."

[H/T: HyperVocal]
I don't listen to country these days, but have still hear enough to know what the guy is talking about. Nothing new, it's been moving in the same direction for decades: fewer permitted topics; fewer permitted 'takes' on those topics. The end state will be: Beer good. Woman hot. Party fun. USA #1.

"It" is the streamlining of country. You have the paradox, identified upthread, that country appears to be broadening, by mixing pop, rock and even hip-hop elements, but in reality it is streamlining its themes and spins. As more and more territory becomes unPC, which is to say unsafe, the only thing songwriters can write about is drinking and sex. Which is, as we all should know, exactly what the Frankfurt School anti-white jews want us to focus on.

The streamlining of country music is in line with Orwell's ideas about the totalitarians streamlining language by, year by year, reducing the number of words in actual use.

Last edited by Alex Linder; December 27th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.