View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2018 #30
Alex Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
In the early 1970s when I was in grade school, many kids were becoming little thugs. Also American schools had been desegregated starting in the 1960s and many niggers and other non-Whites were allowed in, making for a totally disruptive (non) learning environment.
The same can hardly be said about Soviet schoolchildren of this period. In the USSR, much attention was paid to raising children.

Quote:
I learned cursive writing in school back them too, but that is no longer being taught. They can barely write their own names today.
It seems to me that I already wrote that the level of education in Russia, too, very significantly decreased. But I think most people are still able to write their own names.

An annotation:

Report from Belfast (Northern Ireland), where English soldiers are rampant. On discrimination against Catholics by the Protestant majority and on the struggle for civil rights.

0:01 - Belfast became the leading edge in the struggle between extremist groups of Catholics and Protestants, between the Irish population and the British army. Nowhere is the presence of heavily armed English soldiers so evident. They behave here as masters.

0:20 - That's how the police search everyone who wants to go to the center of Belfast. From all sides the central quarters of the city are surrounded by such a high metal grid. However, and in all of Belfast, the life of citizens passes like behind bars. Police raids, searches, arrests, military patrols and alarms have become commonplace here.

0:44 - People afraid to go out when it gets dark. On the walls of institutions hang posters that warn you that going to work and returning from it is better by different routes. Or, for example, these posters warn you that you must carefully inspect the street before leaving the house.

1:01 - The capital of Ulster is called the front-line city. It is called so not only because here bombs explode and shots sound, not only because here the whole quarters are burned and destroyed.

1:12 - The British authorities seek to give the impression that they are most concerned with maintaining peace and order, but the army's actions only exacerbate the escalation of the conflict because they are directed mainly against the Catholic minority. With the help of the army and repressive laws, the authorities want to suppress any struggle, including political struggle.

1:33 - The democratic forces of Ulster demand the return of British soldiers to the barracks, to stop discrimination against Catholics and to grant civil rights to the entire population of the province. It's necessary for peace to come to Ulster land.